Thursday, June 26, 2008

Crash day...

I am tired, worn out and cranky today. There I said it. Hows that for keeping it real?

So far I have broken the laundry basket. Yelled at my children. Said words that ladies should not say. And sent 1 almost 2 out of 5 children to bed. *Sigh*
I know all the triggers. I usually get this way when I spend too much time away from home. When chores and projects pile up. When the kids get tired and act like...well, like kids.
When every dish I pull from the dishwasher is dirty, because dish girl gets lazy sometimes and does not rinse them well. When I have to call someone back to sweep the floor after three tries. When the baby gets into everything. When the laundry pile gets bigger and not smaller. When we run out of trash bags and the child in charge of the garbage says, "I did not know I used the last one!" When the vacuum cleaner smells like you vacuumed up a whole family of plastic Lego people when you turn it on.... Do you get the picture?

I probably sound extremely whiny right now. That's not my intent. I promise. I want other struggling moms and homemakers out there to know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Most of us have days like this.

Find your triggers. Try to notice when you are most crabby. Like I said before, this has been a very busy week for us. I have not been home a lot. The times I have been home have not been productive times. I know I can avoid becoming like this by, having a routine in place, staying home more, making most of my days productive, not being afraid to take a day and rest during the week. Rest meaning simple chores, reading, crafting..., letting go of my perfection, training my children in their jobs better and then checking up on them, consistently.

I am willing to bet that a lot of my feelings today are centered around a cluttered house. A home that does not feel safe and secure. Whats the remedy? Get off my blessed assurance and get rid of some of the clutter! :) I really need to accomplish something today around the house to get out of my funk. It always works. I am still plugging away at the laundry. Discouraged because its such a big chore and it does not seem to be going away. That's the beauty of before and after pics. I can look back at the beginning and see the progress.
I have been reading through Psalms the past few weeks. Its beautiful. Here is the perfect Psalm for today:

Psalms 4:1-8, "Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer. O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah. But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him. Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD. There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us. Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased. I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety."

Be Blessed!


8 comments:

  1. Sending you a big {{{HUGS}}} I've had a couple of days too, but mine was due to being sick. I don't make a good sick patient.

    Barbara (blr1968)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so get this post. Thanks for keepin it real! It lets me know that I'm not a failure as a mommy...just...human and in need of the Holy Spirit 24-7. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy- I have those days as well. Then I realize that I was preoccupied with things that, in the long run, don't really matter.. and failed to focus on my munchkins and really listen when they were speaking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is so timely for me - I'm having one of "those" days too. I told my husband (I guess I should say warned) that I feel very depressed and am feeling sorry for myself and like everyone hates me. As I read your post I looked around me and sure enough, I'm behind on all my housework. I'm going to get off the pity pot and DO SOMETHING! Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. {{hugs!}}

    Been there, done that more than once. I actually did send 2 to bed today. My grandmother would blame it one the rainy weather.

    When they get punchy (for an old fashioned term) like that, I know they are exhausted. Nap, nap, nap!

    Oh btw, you don't sound whiny, just matter of fact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. (((((Hugs))))) thanks for sharing. I think we've all been there. Clutter, lack of sleep, hormones, they all do a number on us from time to time.

    I used to find that when I had a day like this, I needed more sleep. Now I find out that I have such severe sleep apnea, that I wasn't getting enough sleep even when I thought I did.

    I never thought of how hormones played a role in my daily coping until my hubby pointed it out. In a nice way, so I let him live! :-)
    He was able to see the cyclical nature of some of my bad days.

    Time to pare down to basics, take care of ourselves, make sure we aren't slacking on the child training/consistency or our own self-discipline issues (how long have I stuck my nose in that book or computer?), and pray, pray, pray. Music helps. So does chocolate.

    Glad to have 'met' you, just a week or two ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just found your blog and have really enjoyed reading some of your posts. Thank you for being so real. We all have those days its nice to be able to relate.
    On another topic, I noticed you have adopted 5 children. Were they foster children? We have been praying about this route.
    Blessings,
    Trixi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your encouragement. I feel much better today. I am still working through laundry but I have a good feeling this weekend might be it!! LOL

    Barbara, thanks for the encouragement. I can always count on you! I hope you are feeling better!

    MM3, YES! Always leaning on God! I stopped by your blog. I love it. Your boys are too cute.

    Mandymom, yep. My kids were definately getting the silent treatment yesterday. I read to them a little longer this morning. :)

    Rmeyers, we have a MANDATORY rest at 3pm everyday. I know I need that hour of quiet. Thank you for the prayers and I do hope you are feeling better!

    Lisa, isn't nice to know we are not alone! LOL. I'm glad I could encourage you.

    Janel, your so sweet! I love ya girl! I think it had to do with gloomy days here too. I love a good storm. Of course what I love about it is curling up in bed. I was being a bit selfish in that I could not have what I wanted.

    Amy, I'm glad we "met" too! I know my is hormonal. Mine are all wacky right now. I try to just do the next thing. That seems to help. Self discipline is huge issue for me right now. But I am covering it in prayer!

    Mrs. Trixie, thanks for coming by! I love to talk about our adoption. Yes, they were from foster care. I have lots of posts on this blog about it. I will try to put some together and link to them a little later. Any specific questions you have I would be glad to talk about. :) I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures on your little homestead. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete