Monday, June 11, 2007

Must we always move around???


Im a little tired of this idea that children must be kept constantly in motion or in front of fast flickering images or in entertaining enviroments. If we dont we loose their attention and then they cant learn, I have heard "experts" say. I have also heard dear sweet Christian men and women say this. Whatever happened to,
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10? What are we teaching our children by entertaining them A-L-L T-H-E T-I-M-E?? What happens when God calls them to something hard? Something not fun? These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world John 16:33 tells us we will have tribulation. Our peace will be in Jesus. Will tribulation be fun and entertaining? Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God Acts 14:22 . I would not think we would need much exhortation to continue in the faith if tribulation was something to look forward to. When do we teach the children to work hard? When do we teach them that life is not always about fun? We can have fun, but first we must work? When? I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. Revelation 2:2. Does this sound like the young people, the future generation, of your church? In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.
2 Thessalonians 3:6-13
I know a lot of children and even a good number of adults who would be starving to death. We as adults have to set this example for our children. We have to make them work. Would it be easier to "do it ourselves"? YES. Oh a thousand times yes. What do our children gain from that? What do our children gain from having everything handed to them at church? Would they not be better off being taught to serve, to work in the church? Who will be the leaders and the workers in our church if we dont train the young ones coming up behind us?
Do I think we should not do anything fun with the children? NO. I think that fun activities at church for the kids are great. Even fun Bible learning activities. Thats not what I mean at all. Im just worried that if we keep trying to entertain them all the time, they will grow to expect God to entertain them all the time. Thats all.
Be Blessed

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Your entry made me think of a conversation I had this week. I would love to see churches involve children with corporate worship. It seems like we go to church and the whole family goes there separate ways. I think it is Biblical for churches to involve the family as a whole- corporate worship services, instead of intertaining and shuffling them from here to there even at church.

    By the way, check out my blog at healingtruth.blogspot.com. I discuss some topics that may be of interest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete