Thursday, June 14, 2007

Beans will never be the same


So for awhile now I have been trying to learn how to cook dried beans. They never came out right. It was frustrating. I could pick up packs of dried beans for less than 50 cents but could not make them come out right. Well friends I have tasted success and it is YUMMY. I got my new crockpot out the other day and decided to try the bean thing. I rinsed off the dry beans and sorted through them, then I threw them in the crockpot, filled the pot with water and cooked on low for 8 hours. PERFECT. We mixed about half of them with chicken, diced tomatoes, corn and taco seasoning and had black bean and chicken tacos the other night. MMMM. I dont think I will ever cook my beans a different way again. It was so easy and it came out great. I have a ziplock bag full of cooked black beans in the fridge which I will mix with turkey sausage, rice, cheese and tomato sauce tonight for a differnt meal. I will let you know how it comes out.
I will try to post some of my favorite recipes involving beans next week. They are so cheap and so incredibly good for you.
Be Blessed.

4 comments:

  1. I have always been intimidated by cooking beans. I got a GREAT recipe for white beans from Carol at BW. I'll share it if you like. My dh even likes it and he's not a huge bean fan. He really likes it on Sundays in the colder weather.

    Please, keep the recipes coming, telling us EXACTLY how you prepare them. I'm looking forward to it!!

    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! did you soak the beans first? when I make beans, they end up being hard still even if I soak them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, no thats the beauty of this. I did not have to soak them. I have never had beans come out not hard before. Its worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooking beans in my crockpot. It does a wonderful job.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete