Thursday, October 30, 2008

Children helping

I have tried many, many, many different ways of getting my kids to do chores and help around the house. All have failed miserably and left me angry and frustrated and my kids crying and frustrated.
As I was reading Raising Godly Tomatoes I realized what was wrong. I would assign jobs and then go off to do something else while they worked. Two to a room. Well this did not work because they were left to their own ways. My oldest especially does not do well without supervision.


So last week I decided to switch things up a bit. I pulled out different colors of construction paper one for each room of the house. I pulled out baggies for each color. I wrote down what needed to be done in each room for the day and the week. On the back I wrote whether it needed to be done daily or weekly. Now we go one room at a time and everyone picks a job from the bag. If it can't be done right then, like mopping needs to be done last, they put it back and pick a different job.


We do our weekly jobs on Monday. It takes a really long time right now. :)
The kids love it. They keep telling me how happy they are to be all working together. I am there with them most of the time able to laugh and direct as needed.




I also came up with table chores to do after every meal. They draw for these jobs as well. Clean off the table, clean off the highchair, rinse off the dishes, put away the food, sweep and spot clean. While they do this I get everything ready for our family time.
This is our second week of doing this system. So far it's a real keeper!


8 comments:

  1. Oh, it sounds like a great plan. We do something similar. We all work around the main areas at the end of the day to get ready for daddy's arrival home. I like your after dinner routine. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Trixi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have found a great system for your family!! We are still in the "right there with 'em" stage - although I am usually directing from the kitchen, walking from area to area, checking up on things.

    I don't get a lot of MY OWN work done during this time....but *some* day.....
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great solution. My son also needs supervision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Trixi, I try to also have a 15minute roundup with the kids before daddy comes home. It's been nice to greet him with a nice home the past few weeks.

    Lori, "some day" that's what I keep saying as well. :) All of this work will pay off!

    MM3, thanks for the encouragement.

    Mrs. Laura, I think the supervision now will pay off in the future. Here's hoping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the joy of seeing your kids work together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely much more fun doing jobs together.

    ReplyDelete