Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ch-ch-changes....

Roy and I spent a lot...A LOT, of time this past weekend just discussing where we are going. We have plan A and plan B. I love both plans! Both involve getting this house on the market sometime next year. During the next few months we will be painting, laying floors, fixing little bits and pieces of house that need fixing, cleaning really, really well, and decluttering to the max. All while building up a savings account and paying off as much debt as possible. Oh yeah, it's N0vember and December. HA!
Plan A is where Roy gets the career change he has been waiting for and we stay here. We find as much land as possible and start our little hobby farm. It won't be the land we want because that's just not available here. Dh will work this job while we save up and prepare for THE MOVE. I don't know how that will work out because DH is not a spring chicken anymore and trying to transfer this job would be really hard. We will still hold out though. :)

Plan B involves some cheap land. We were looking at Timber land and hunting tracts in other states. Those seem to be some of the more affordable options for the 20-40 acres we would really love to have. What in the world would we do with that much land?

Well first will be our little farm. Some cows, chickens, and MAYBE goats. We will also be growing a lot of our own food. I am reading books about how to be between 75% and 95% self sufficient. I also want to make sure we have enough to share with others.No I don't plan to accomplish all that in the first year, but we will plan to build up to it. I even had some ideas of the boys raising bees and the girls raising rabbits, but that's a long way off. :)
We also plan to build our dream home eventually. Big enough for entertaining and more children.
In the back we will have three cottages. One for my mom, one for Roy's parents, and one for people who need help. Maybe missionaries home on furlough, a traveling preacher, a family out of work though trying.. the list goes on. I want to be able to entertain the angels while making sure my family stays safe. We also would like enough land that our kids can have some land when they get married if they so choose. It will be completely optional.






These are just rough drafts of plans we have been working on for four years. Plan B is my favorite, but if God opens the rest of the doors and DH gets the new job then I will adjust. One thing is for sure. We are getting out of this two by four land in this subdivision. That's definitely something to rejoice over!

8 comments:

  1. I hope you get your dream! I know it's hard to live in the city. We moved down to our land last year and I love it! Land down where we live is pretty cheap, but we are also kinda far from a lot of the bigger stores and such. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that you wrote about this today. I, too, have been daydreaming about my husband's and I's plan of having a little farm with our little house (a straw bale house, by the way, look into it!) I love the idea of having a few little cottages on the property too. I hadn't thought of that. We are wanting to be mainly self sufficient and help wherever we can as well. May God bless this dream of yours and I hope it becomes a reality! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about we find about 50 acres somewhere - split the cost your family takes 25 and our family will take the ther 25???? Land seems to be cheaper the bigger it gets! Ohio land is fairly reasonable :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds beautiful. I want a farm, I want cows and chickens and grow form there.

    That dream is far off since we are only planning on buying our first house now....

    May God give you the desires of your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I assume the rabbits will be pets?
    ;)

    I love the picture of the Victorian house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, sounds ideal! We are actually looking in both of the Carolinas.

    Amanda, we looked at straw bale houses, but I don't know if that's what we want yet. We also looked at some cordwood homes those are interesting.

    Lori, great idea. We are looking around the Alabama, Carolina's, Georgia area though. Ohio seems so far away. LOL

    Donna, we live in our first home now. Oh, how I would do some many things differently. Make sure you have a yard for your babies. Not just a square plot in back, but a yard! LOL

    Mobunny, umm... YES! Absolutely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Laura, thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete