Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Yes, you can!

Can I take a moment, please? Something I have been pondering over and over in my mind lately and I just have to share it! Please, don't tell me you "can't" homeschool. I really don't want to hear it. If you don't want to, that's fine. I won't judge you. There are very few reasons someone can't homeschool. The major one I can think of is if you husband does not want you to. That's a completely legitimate "can't"in my book. But please don't forget... prayer changes things!

My first reason for not wanting to hear you can't homeschool? Well, it has to do with a Bible verse that popped into my head one day when I was listening to a mother tell me she just could not homeschool her child. It would be too hard.
Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

So, I'm not going to buy that excuse anymore. Once again, if you don't want to homeschool, its ok. I will not judge you or push you or demean you. Just don't lie to me about it. You don't even have to give me a reason why you don't want to homeschool. We are still friends. Really.

I'm not smart enough. Can you read? I failed math every year of highschool! Every year. Thank God for books that have scripted lessons. That's what I use for math for my kids. It tells me exactly what to say and when. It even tells me what to write. Same with our grammar book.
I'm not qualified. Hmm.. who qualified you to be a parent in the first place? Did you go to college for that? Who taught your baby to walk, talk, eat, potty, share....??? That makes you a teacher. I read on a church sign the other day... Every home is a classroom, what are you teaching at yours? That's so true. When your kids come home from school every day do they just stop learning. Who is teaching them right from wrong? To clean up after themselves? To love Jesus? Sounds like you might be qualified enough to teach them something as simple as reading, writing , and arithmetic.
Because I am outspoken and passionate about homeschooling people come to me a lot to ask about it. I try not to push anyone into it. It has to be your decision. Not mine!
It does take a certain level of commitment. I have to commit to my children to teach them and train them everyday. Some days are easier than others. But in reality homeschooling is not hard, it just takes more of a commitment. We read, we write, we play, we discipline, we learn... how is that different than any other home?

I did not want to offend anyone with this post. I know I have a couple of people who read my blog who do not homeschool. I just want to put it out there that homeschooling is an option.
Personally, I think its the best option. Especially for Christian families. But... thats my OPINION! :)

Be Blessed!

10 comments:

  1. Thank You Julie-

    I needed to hear this today !! Sometimes I think I can't homeschool because I have so many little ones running around!! or I think i am not smart enough.

    Lets just say I remember high school!! oh how I wished I did better. I know it is what God wants for our family! So thanks again for this post!

    I know I can do it and God will help me make it t hru the year , little ones and all.
    Blessings-
    Rachelle (mamabear)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a former homeschooling mom. I homeschool my daughter for a time. 2 years ago my son attended a Christian preschool primarily for the companionship 3 mornings a week as we have no children his age in our neighborhood. When he was getting ready to attend kindergarten we prayed long and hard about what direction we would go in. It was placed on our hearts that our public school system needed more diciples of Christ within its midst. A tall order for a kindergartner? Not really. My son talks about Jesus on a daily basis. I volunteer often and give art lessons at the school on a regular basis. Some of the kids and their home life just break my heart. But, Jesus worked through me and made sure that those children knew that Mrs. Gunn loved them unconditionally. Indeed on the first day of school last week I was greeted with "Mrs. Gunn! Mrs. Gunn! When are you coming to school?"
    Yes, it is a difficult choice but we are going to continue marching on through the public school system shining our light as much as we can, to as many children as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the post Robyn, I mean Julie!!! LOL ;P

    I feel the same way as you! I'm glad you have the moxy to state it!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My MIL and I were just discussing this yesterday. A family member has several special needs children and is finding out that the public schools are not so...accomidating. They don't want their child in the school that public school wants to put him in. Public school says child can't go to preferred school because of child's handicap.

    Let's just say, I traveled the same road several years ago with my own special needs child. I asked if they are considering homeschooling since Mom is out of work right now anyway. I was told she doesn't have enough patience.

    My reply: Patience! Who does have an abundance of patience? I have to go to the Lord daily, most days multiple times to pray for wisdom and patience for my family!

    I guess from now on, I'll just keep on doing what I do, and politely answer any questions from that family member.

    BTW, is it just me that has to pray for patience and wisdom several times a day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachelle, I think that all the time. Especially when my two year old refuses to sit and play quietly. Doesn't he know I HAVE to get this work done today?? :)
    When God brought Phil. 4:13 to my mind I almost fell over. I had never thought of that verse for homeschooling.

    Mrs. Laura, Im so glad you are there for those children.

    Lori, I love a good controversy. ;)
    I am very passionate about a lot of things and tend to hide that because I don't want to be "weird". I need to just accept that label and move on. LOL

    dotblogger, I think you are such a wise mom. I love reading your blog. I explained in an email to someone recently that I get tired of hearing people tell me all the reasons they can't homeschool. Thats pretty much what brought this opinion sharing out. :)

    Calina, thanks for stopping by. I pray for wisdom, grace and mercy EVERY SINGLE DAY! Sometimes 10x a day. LOL. Once again I claim Phil. 4:13!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen sister! :)

    I kind of touched on this in my homeschool blog..

    http://mandymom.com/edublog

    I think I'll link to your post here there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post, and how true it is. I'm a mother of four with number five on the way. My oldest is in sixth, then fifth, third and first. With all the different grades things get tricky! We have already started school and so far things are going good! I will not lie, there are days when school is done I make them go outside for a while just so I can be alone or have some quiet time. Sometimes I just go to Walmart. I can't imagine them being gone all day, I think I would be extremely bored. I'm thankful for this time with them, It has helped me get my mind back. After having so many little ones, I felt dumb, but after starting school and having my brain get back into gear I know that I do have a brain God has given me. And it feels good to be able to do math problems and learn things maybe I should have learned in school, but didn't. It also has put a respect for me into my kids. Before, I didn't know anything, only the teacher knew how to do stuff, but now, Hey, I'm the hero, the one that can answer their questions. Yeah, homeschooling is rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome post!! I found it thru mandy mom's blog.. I am new to homeschooling (just started in May) but I get the same things when I tell people I homeschool.. the worst excuse i got from a librarian the other day was that she would love to, but can't because her daughter wont listen to her.. so she is content to send her child off to someone else instead of correcting the problem and doing what she claims to want to do.. well said and I plan to link to this post on my blog if you dont mind - if you do I will remove it..

    Courtney
    http://iveseenthevillage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandymom, thanks! I loved what your wrote.

    Kelly, there are so many days when our quiet time goes a little longer just because I need a few more minutes. LOL. Its awesome being the one they look to for the answers though!

    Courtney, link away sister. Thanks for coming by. Im glad you are homeschooling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I hear the same thing a lot and it irritates me. The biggest one is "I cant deal with them that long." I think... you CANT or WONT? It blows my mind!

    I may discuss this in my homeschool blog as well. I think it needs some more attention!

    ReplyDelete