Thursday, August 7, 2008

A few days late...



I know I promised this post on Monday, but, well... you know how that goes. LOL.

Hopefully I am getting back into some sort of routine and can start posting daily again. I do so love to post. But as you all know the chicklets and the roost must come first. (Children and home for any who don't speak my language. LOL)

School went great Monday.

We start with circle time. Here we all come together. We read a portion of Matthew and the kids draw a picture of what we read about. We work on any memorization. Currently it's Proverbs chapter one and a poem called Godfrey Gordon Gustavas Gore. We also review some of the stuff we memorized before. Books of the Bible, other poems, the 12 disciples... stuff like that. I'm working on an idea for a Memorization notebook for each kid, but have not done that yet.

While Karly practices her piano I start school with Tamara and Adrian.

Math: Saxon 1

Reading: Ordinary Parents Guide To Teaching Their Child To Read

Handwriting: A Reason For Handwriting K (I was not going to do handwriting with them just yet, but they begged! :)

Jonathan gets some small toys to play with behind me for this time.

Kelsie works on her handwriting or copywork or corrections during this half hour.

While Kelsie practices the piano I do some reading with Tamara and Adrian from various books we have. Jonathan usually joins us.

Karly works on handwriting, copywork, or corrections during this time.

We take a half hour break here. Then I start with Karly.

This year she is doing:

Math: Saxon 5/4

Handwriting: Finishing up the last book in the A Reason For Handwriting book. When she's done with that we are going to do some fun book projects

Grammer: Learning Language Arts Through Literature Yellow book

Copywork and Cooking.

Then it's Kelsie's turn.

Math: Finishing up Saxon 2, will start Saxon 3 in about 2 weeks.

Handwriting: A Reason For Handwriting the Transition book. She is finishing up learning the cursive letters and will move into the verses.. I think next week.

Grammer: Learning Language Arts Through Literature Red book.

Copywork.

Jonathan and I are reading and playing. He loves to sort things. He knows most of his colors though he won't tell you on demand. He likes sitting with us while we do reading.
Genius alert: He can count to ten forwards and backwards. I think his siblings taught him this. LOL

We are only doing three days of school a week. We school mostly year round so I don't really need four or five days. On Tuesdays we have Bible study and dance and on Wednesdays we have co-op. It just was not practical to try to force school into those two days.

I hope everyone else is having a great year or start to the year.

Be Blessed!

5 comments:

  1. All sounds great. Your children are blest to have you. connie from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey buddy -

    Glad to see a post!

    You're making me feel really guilty! I haven't even thought about starting school, again, yet. I usually don't take summer off, but with how hectic this last year has been, I needed the break (and so did they).

    I've decided NOT to start school until the first week of September. By then, we will have made the move and [hopefully] beginning to settle!

    Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Connie, thank you! I am blessed to have them, thats for sure!

    Lori, I usually don't take the summer off either but really felt burdened to do some extra Bible work with my kids in July so we took the month off! I think the first week of Sept. is a great time to start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely day... you must feel so blessed to be able to spend such quality and quantity time with your children. I just can't understand why anyone would no want to homeschool! You get to actually see and contribute to the education of your child! How incredibly special is that!

    Thanks for commenting on my blog the other day - I have decided not to have the stickers on the bags (too expensive) and the display case will cost allot to get made too.

    So... a friend said she has an old wooden bakers tray under her house, which I'm going to clean up and wax it. Then I'm just going to put 4 biscuits per clear cellophane bag and tie with the ribbon - no sticker - and then line them up in rows on the tray. Each flavour has its own colour ribbon - so that return customers can easily identify the type they want. Better?

    Thanks lovely,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I LOVE homeschooling. While draining and taxing some days in the end its all worth it! Just being with my kids is reward enough.
    I think the stickers would be a great thing... just maybe not starting out. :) I think the idea of cellophane bags with different colored ribbons is perfect. You are going to do well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete