Thursday, August 14, 2008

I just wanted to share...


On a message board I am on we recently started talking about when we came to be believers. I thought about what to write for a long time. This is what I wrote.


I was 6 years old, or so I'm told. I remember praying the prayer and talking to my grandaddy, my daddy and the preacher. I remember being baptized. I don't remember some earth shattering revelation falling on me! For a long time I thought because I'd never had that "feeling" I must not be saved. It started a few months before I got married. I had a horrible dream. I knew Jesus was coming back that day and we had to be at a certain spot singing hymns when He came back. (Its ok you can laugh.. I do now!)I could not find the spot. I looked and looked getting more afraid. I woke up, sure I was having a heart attack. I read through the whole NT that night. I contemplated calling my preacher at 2am. I was THAT scared. I prayed the "sinner's prayer" about 50 times. I quoted verses over and over out loud. Later, my husband to be informed me I had been under spiritual attack. It took me almost two years to come out of that season of doubt. It was horrible. But now, I know why I went through it. It really strengthened my faith. It drew me more into God's word as I searched for the assurance I so desperately needed. I also have a testimony for others who were saved as children and enter into doubt. I was ministering to a 76 year old woman the other day. When I said, the biggest reason for my doubt was not fully understanding what I was saved from, she broke down in tears. I can look back on my life and see God working through all the years. I did make a commitment to Jesus at 6. I believe with all my heart that's when I became a part of God's family. I served Him through my growing up years as best I could. I missed a lot of discipleship. Oh, I knew my Bible. I won award after award for knowing the Bible. LOL. BUT no one taught me how to apply it. It was not until I endured those two years that I learned how the Bible applied to me. Now God is so very real to me. I am so thankful.
It is all so very true. That dark time in my life was life changing for me.
I have learned to claim reassurance every day. Quoting verses that assure me that I am saved. I make it a point to do a fruit check every now and then. I want to see some visible signs of my faith in my life. I do. Oh, I so very much do! :)
I put this out there in hopes of ministering to someone else and also to remind myself that God is good!

3 comments:

  1. This is a powerful testimony. Thank you for sharing this. It really makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mrs. Laura. I have been basking in God's greatness a lot this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie
    I liked reading your testimony!


    :)candy

    ReplyDelete