Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Simple Life: Bread

I have been reading lately about living a simpler life. I am a very modern, materialistic girl. I am striving towards a more simple life style. It relaxes me just reading about these people who have decided that they just don't need "it". Whatever "it" may be. I know its not an easy lifestyle. And I know this city girl has a loooooooooooooong way to go. But Im willing to take baby steps. One of the first steps I took was bread. One common thing among most simplicity seekers was making your own bread. I have been doing just that for awhile. I thought about it awhile back. When I mention that I bake my own bread by hand I am usually met with shock and awe. Followed by murmurs of praise to my greatness. This always makes me laugh. Making bread costs me about 15-20m of labor. If that. Here is my recipe and step by step instructions. I try to bake it on Mondays and Thursdays if needed. It really is quiet simple. I will tell any beginners that my first few loaves were not that great. My suggestion is to keep trying. Adjust it until you get it to your liking. We were not real big wheat bread eaters around here. I started by using some white flour with the wheat and weaned us off of that. Now its all whole wheat. I have been using a little bit of whole wheat pastry flour about a cup to the mix and kneading it on the pastry flour. This has given us a smoother and lighter texture. Almost sandwich bread quality. :)
The above is my dream. Its a Wonder Mill Grain Mill. Dh doesn't think we need one right now so I just enjoy it vicariously through online friends. :)
Hopefully, this will be what I get for Christmas. The Kitchen aid grain mill attachment. Its a great start.. I think.
And worse case scenario I buy this hand mill. I can't imagine being able to get enough flour for bread from this bad boy without killing myself, but I'm sure after awhile I would be better at it. And boy what muscles I would have!!

I would love to have fresh ground grains to work with. Until then though I am happy to do with what I have!

3 comments:

  1. OK, I'm going to bum you out a bit here, so sorry in advance.

    I wouldn't recommend the Kitchen aid grain mill attachment. A friend of mine had one and it burnt up the mixer- twice. I tried one a friend found for me at a yard sale, and when we felt how hot it got the mixer after just a small bit of grinding, we gave it back.

    I love my Kitchenaid too much to risk it.

    But kudos for you for weaning your family off the white stuff and onto the good stuff! Take it one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I found your blog today! I was just thinking about getting a grain mill. I'll be back soon to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, don't be sorry. Thats great info. I will let Dh know because thats his compromise right now. ;)

    Michelle, thanks for stopping by. You have a great blog I spent some time there yesterday. We can learn about grain mills together! :)

    ReplyDelete