Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Kitchen Post

Alas, I did not make it to my mom's last night. So there are no pictures of my beautifully empty laundry baskets. Soon though. I promise. :) Before I leave.
Today I thought I would share with you something I just started doing around my kitchen. It's working out great.

On Friday I will do our grocery shopping for the next week. It will be in the morning before DH leaves for work, in the mid morning if we walk to the store up the street, or in the evening after DH gets home.
On Saturday I will come up with a menu plan for the week based on what is in the pantry and what I bought. I made up a master list of what I need to have on hand for meals. Funny thing, with just few staple items you can make a lot of different things.
Sunday I will clip coupons and sort them. I will look through sales ads from the Sunday paper for good deals. I will also do this on Wednesday when the store fliers come in the mail, finalizing my grocery list for Friday.
Monday I will bake the bread, make up as much of the meals for the week ahead as possible, cut up veggies for salads, make any desserts we plan to have, stew up some broth, cook beans... you get the picture. Monday is a down day for me. Coming off the weekend and all. Using this time to get all my cooking done for the busy week ahead is a life saver.

Yesterday I made four loaves of bread, put together a cabbage bake for Thursday, cooked a meat mix for crockpot stroganoff for Friday, made all of our oatmeal for the week, made marinara sauce for tonight, and roasted a chicken which I will use the rest of to make broth today.

I did not get all the cooking done. Today I have to make rice for the week, put together another meal for the crockpot Saturday, and cook some side dishes.

It looks like a lot but these are all things I can do while cleaning up my kitchen, reading to the kids, or doing laundry. I am slowly learning how to combine things while I work. I will post some more about that later either today when I have some free time or this week.

Do you do any precooking? Do you have any suggestions for my plan above?

Be Blessed!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like youre organized and doing a great job!:o)
    I finally figured out my blog roll and put your blog on it.
    Have a great wk.
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you have got it all together and doing just great. Pre-planning saves gobs of time. When I have left overs I always freeze them so that we can have them another day and not just one meal after another. Just the two of us that works very well. connie from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your game plan. I try to double or triple everything I make for dinner and freeze that. Theses days my children are eating everything!!! so I am not able to freeze as much. I think they are all growing at once !! Have a blessed night.
    Your Friend :-)
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do my grocery shopping every 2 weeks. I also grind my own wheat for bread and try to chop up things like onions before hand. There is sooo much more I could be doing but haven't started yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

    Lib, thanks for adding me. I adore your blog!

    Mrs. Connie, I don't know about all together but I am learning. :)
    Hmm.... I used to have leftovers. LOL

    Rachelle, I tried that too. My kids just wanted more. :)

    Mrs. Trixie, part of why I am trying to get in a good routine of doing it all on Monday is that I hope to have a wheat grinder in the future. If I grind my wheat on Monday and make my bread for the week I won' thave to worry about it again.

    ReplyDelete