Saturday, July 5, 2008

Faith and Family

I have been planning something for awhile. It's called our Faith and Family wall(s). It used to be one wall now I'm thinking it will be one wall in all the rooms of our home. On it there will be pictures of our family and friends as well as Bible verses, our family vision, quotes to live by... anything that inspires our family to press on toward the mark!

I have heard time and again how important it is to have scripture around your home. For a long time I have wanted to write, Deuteronomy 6:5, "And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." , on the wall around my front door. You know from the rest of the verse... Deuteronomy 6:6-9, "And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates." I will do that as well.
As I read through my Bible I find more and more verses to include. I want everyone who lives here and who enters our home to know what our family is about. To know who we are and where we are going. DH and I have a vision for our family. It's on our mantle. I will post the picture of it after I finish this post. Mainly we want our children to love God and be more obedient to Him than we are. Someone once told DH, if you want to know how much faith your children have look at your grandchildren. That blew him away. Oh that our family will live on in Heaven with us for many, many, many generations.
Here are just a few of the verses that we are going to use..

1 Peter 3:15, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

Deuteronomy 5:32-33, "Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left. Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess."

Deuteronomy 7:9, "Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;"

Joshua 1:8-9, "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."



1 John 2:6, "He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked."

1 John 2:15, "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

1 Samuel 16:7, "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart."

2 Samuel 7:29, "Therefore now let it please thee to bless the house of thy servant, that it may continue for ever before thee: for thou, O Lord GOD, hast spoken it: and with thy blessing let the house of thy servant be blessed for ever."

These are just a few of the verses we have chosen. I will share more later. It will probably be at least a month before I can start on our walls. I need to repaint and do some other things around here first, but the wall is always on my heart and mind.
The very first verse I choose, except for the Duet. 6:5 was 2 Samuel 7:29 (see above). It matched our vision perfectly.

What verses would you put on your faith and family wall? What would your faith and family wall look like?

Be Blessed!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a great idea. Deut. 6:6-9 is our reason for homeschooling verse. You have some great choices there and I can't wait to see how you do it!!
    Blessings,
    Trixi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Trixi, I can't wait to see how I do it either. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been working towards this same goal for our family. What great verses you have chosen!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Tracy, I am following your family heritage nights. I have picked up great things from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'm trying to get back to that...life has been very hectic! We are actually working on a heritage project right now- stepping stones with Bible verses for our garden! I'm really excited to see my children
    learning these verses as they play along through the plants!

    (Of course, then there is that bead to scrapbook about now....*sigh*)

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete