Saturday, September 17, 2005

My Home Part 2

I had this written yesterday but we got home late and I was exhausted!

Ok so lets head into the Great Room. Most newer homes have these. It is a big room just off the kitchen usually. Ours has a fireplace in the corner which of course we have to turn the air on to use..welcome to Florida! The mantel used to have beanie bears across the top now it sits empty waiting for my next revelation of decorating! Above it is a black iron oval mirror and two black candle sconces. Oh wait I neglected to mention that my walls are BRIGHT yellow. Happy face yellow is what I call it. Ok back to the fireplace. We have a grayish marble surround and hearth. On the hearth is a basket with a blue ribbon that holds everything and propped up against the fireplace is the canvas with our family vision painted on. I want to get this above the fireplace. I don't know yet where I will move the mirror and sconces..maybe across the room. Next to the fireplace is my fake ficus tree. I love these and they went on sale at Garden Ridge one year for $16 so I ran out and bought two.. I was so excited! Then there is the sliding glass door that opens out onto the pond. We have vertical blinds on this door and they still look nice. Its a pain to open and close them because somehow they got bent the wrong way one time and now you have to pretty much manually move them when you want to open them. In the next corner sits our stereo and tapes and CDs. I really need to find a small table for the stereo to sit on and also some hideaway storage for our tapes and CDs. I have microwave cart in my garage that I might end up using. Then you have our table and an eclectic mix of chairs. Our table technically only seeks four but with 7-8 people in the house we have had to add different chairs. I love this table. We got it for Prince Charming's apartment when we were dating. As a bachelor he saw no need for a table.. I of course was appalled and thought for sure I could never date a man who did not have a table.... I knew I was going to marry this man so I picked out his (our) table. Its got the butcher block looking top with white legs and the chairs are white, with butcher block looking seats... VERY country. We have decided that our next purchase is actually going to be two of those long buffet tables, you know the ones you can get at walmart for like $25? We are going to cover those with a pretty table cloth and then try to find chairs that we can either paint or cover to give it a pulled together look. Im also going to get a rug or cloth to put under the table to have a visual separation of the family room and eating area. Above the table I have two prints I picked up at Garden Ridge for like $5 a piece. They are homey scenes with quilts in them. I just adore these prints. As you walk past the entrance to our bedroom and then the kitchen you come to a low bar area. This looks into the kitchen. The counter on this bar is blue marble looking. It is very cluttered with stuff. Soon I want to have it cleared off so we can put food up there buffet style when we need to. Maybe leave some pictures and candles stuff thats easy to remove. Underneath the bar is my grandaddy's old desk. This desk is beautiful dark wood. He cut a piece of glass to go over the top so it would not get scratched. When he passed away I immediately asked if I could have the desk. Grandaddy and Grandma got it when they first got married so I has a lot of sentimental value for me and the great thing is its practical and useful..not just clutter! I have started to clean the stuff off the desk. Eventually on top of the desk I want a desk calendar, a binder with household information, the wooden thingy with 31 slots to hold out bills, and a cup with pens and pencils in it. This will be homemanagement central. I might have to move the desk if I make the bar above it a buffet but we will cross that road when we get to it. Next is a wall that has a small table with pictures on top. It has two drawers that hold who knows what. It has the butcher block like top and dark green legs. I want to spray pain it white or blue but have not gotten around to it. Above the table is a pretty country home scene. I dont know how to describe it except to say in the picture is this big brown buffet and on top is a lot of blue and cream containers and one blue and cream water can with a bouquet of wild flowers in it. Underneath are country kitchen essentials. A washboard, a cutting board, some bowls, a few more containers... stuff like that. Above the table in the picture is a sign that say "God Bless our home." I really like this picture.. in case you could not yet tell Im way into country stuff. In the middle of our living room..ok Im going to tell you the middle of our living room right now. One couch is my big blue couch it is sitting caddy corner to the fireplace facing the sliding glass door. The other couch is a light colored couch with pinks and blues swirled in it is facing the table with its back to the fireplace because thats where it went so we could pull the sofa bed out when my friends came to stay while my daddy was sick. It used to sit caddy corner to the fireplace facing the blue couch. It was very cute and cozy. Our coffee table sits up against the sliding glass door. It used to sit between the two couches. Now one reason I have not put everything back into position is because the couch that does not match is going to find itself in the library/school room soon where DH's exercise bike sits. The blue couch will be turned to face the fireplace and I will have two other chairs facing the blue couch flanking the fireplace. The coffee table will go in the middle. Another thing in the middle of the room right now is clothes. Someone just gave me three big bags of clothes for the children and I have been sorting through them. They should be put up by tomorrow. I really enjoy this room and soon hope to make it the most inviting room in the house. I want everyone to be drawn here for family time.
Well Im going to save the bedrooms for tomorrow. I dont like posting on Saturdays but I do want to finish the tour..if anyone is even reading it! :) I am hoping to use my mom's digital camera and I will take pictures so you all can see what I am talking about. I like looking at pictures of others' homes. It makes me feel like I know them! LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment