Monday, September 8, 2008

She watches over...

She watches over the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31:27 NKJV
She carefully watches all that goes on in her household and does not have to bear the consequences of laziness. Proverbs 31:27 NLT
I think I know what's going on... My prayer lately has been that my home would be free from evil. I am on a mission to kick the devil and his minions out of my house. No, I do not give undue power to the devil, but I do know that we wrestle not against flesh and blood... Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].
I have prayed over and over the last few months that my home would be a safe refuge. A place of peace and renewal for all those who enter. Somewhere to recharge before heading out into the world again. HA! I thought I was far from that place. There are so many areas I have to fight. Idleness being in the top five. But see I know my business is to watch over my house. To be ever aware.

Our ladies Bible study that meets on Tuesday mornings is doing the study A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. The last session was A Heart For Your Home. Day 2 was watching over your home. Mrs. George showed us the Hebrew words for "watch over". Here they are:
To guard, protect
To watch, to look narrowly
To preserve, to save
To make sure

I am guarding my home. I am watching over it and protecting it. I am working double time to bring peace and order to a home in the midst of this unpeaceful, disorderly world. I am casting out evil. Praying for discernment. Watching carefully to make sure no evil enters. Evil can enter through attitudes, anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, possessions... I have to be on guard, prayerfully, each day to stand against these things.

So you see, I am making progress. I am banning the devil from my home and he is banging on the door trying to get back in! That's what the toil and strife has been about lately. I'm almost sure of it. Now I know that God will not allow the evil back in. My family is going to be safe. I'm sure of it. Please continue to remember us in your prayers though.

God, forget the hedge, please build a huge concrete wall around my home. Place barbed wire around the top. And Your guards at every corner, entrance, and side. In Jesus name, AMEN!

6 comments:

  1. I think you know EXACTLY what is going on....wisdom..there is the key, and you have it.
    You are in my prayers....though you really have it covered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie- I am so glad I'm not alone (re: my post on my blog, thanks for your comment)

    I think you're right on target here and sounds like we do have a lot in common.

    I'm an Elizabeth George fan too. I read that book on my own, but our church did Time Management for Busy Women some years ago (or was it the other way around?) Any who... a few of us are reading her Following God with all Your Heart, with plans to discuss it via email.

    Blessings and virtual hugs to you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot, your mention about the hedge and concrete wall brought to mind this Christian comedian, Tim Hawkins. He has a thing about praying for a hedge, and asking for a big wall or something. Funny. He's on Youtube if you want to hear some of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pastor used to pray for a garrison around our minds. :)

    Sounds like you might be onto something Julie!!

    Keep up the good work Mama! Fight the good fight!! Love, MM3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bren, thanks. I just have to keep that thought right in front of me so I don't get overwhelmed. :)

    Amy, I am reading Time Management for Busy Women right now and woooo talk about some convicting stuff. :) I blogged about it last month I think. What a great book. I love all of her studies. Even though they seem to focus on the same things its so wonderful to get some good solid teaching in those areas! Our preacher was the one who prayed the concrete wall prayer with DH the other day and I stole it from him. He probably got it from Tim Hawkins though. He likes that guy!

    MM3, thanks! I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete