Thursday, May 8, 2008

Keeper At Home

I have noticed something recently. As I have been looking at my stats I noticed in the last few weeks a lot of hits have come from people looking up Keepers At Home.


The reason I am drawn to this is because I am wondering if more women out there aren't trying to find some reason for coming home. Are they trying to define a Keeper At Home? Can you believe I actually heard a preacher not to long ago say, "I think its good for a woman to be home. Of course some are called to work, but I think it is important to stay home and care for your children. I don't have any scripture to back that up." WHAT?! Does he not read the Bible. Titus 2:4-5 spells it out right there... "keepers at home."
I am not going to look down on a woman who does not stay home, but for a preacher to say that there is not Biblical data to back up a mom at home struck me as insane. Who better to stay home and care for a home or children than the one God gave the home and children to?
I am still so very selfish. I find it hard sometimes to get through the day with small children and a home that constantly needs tending. But see, God has a plan for me. Right now it involved ministering to these children. I am called to be a living sacrifice. To take up my cross and follow Jesus. Sometimes that means doing things we don't want to do. Sometimes I don't want to get up in the morning and fix breakfast. Sometimes, I want to spend more time on the computer and not start school. But then I remember Jesus did not want to get on the cross. He did it for me and I do those things for Him.
I have an end mark in sight. I have a vision of children who will walk in the truth. Children raised in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Children who will not depart. If I am with them everyday I can see areas that they need training and discipline in. I can see when sin is in their little lives. I can teach them how to repent and turn away from ungodliness. If I were at an office all day, how could I see those things clearly?
I have a goal of a home that is a safe haven. A refuge from the evil of the world. In my prayer journal lately I have been asking God for spiritual protection over our home. I pray that no evil enters our home. That I will always be on guard to fight the evil from entering our home. I believe that's a job I have as keeper of the home. To guard against evil. Imagine a home so full of God's grace and peace. Where no evil lurks. How much stronger would our families be when walking out the front door?


For all of you searching for reasons to stay home or wondering what are these crazies talking about? I ask you to study and pray. I am not perfect. My house is a disaster. I yell way too much. My baby is in danger of running our home some days. I am tired and send the children to some meaningless play some days. But in the end, God does bless me. He blesses me with little moments of contentment when my 2 year old climbs in my lap. When my 11 year old saunters into the kitchen to chat while I make dinner. When my 6 year old says she can't wait to be a mommy. When my 8 year old tells me her children will NOT go to school because she will homeschool. When my 5 year old kills the monster for me. When I hear my children in earnest conversation about Jesus loving them. God makes it all worth it. :)

Be Blessed!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! And your family is absolutely precious! I'm really enjoying your blog! The meatloaf recipe sounds heavenly... I'm gonna have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I hope that there is a movement towards women desiring to be keepers at home, there is also a girl's club called "Keepers At Home" that many people use as part of their homeschool curriculum or in small groups. I think it's so important to instill a love of being a hearthkeeper in our daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God for Pastors that still preach the truth. I have four children ages 12yrs.-14mo. Iam a woman that struggles with contentment. I was starting to get "the itch" to fulfill some of my long lost dreams of starting a career. Everything was in order, the babysitter hired, I applied for classes, studied for tests I was ready to go, ignoring the Holy Spirits still voice urging me to go after the higher calling of being a keeper at home. Finally I responded with a Just let me know for sure, Lord? The very next Sunday the Pastor preached on the Bible truth of being a keeper at home. I went to the alter and repented of my folly and thanked God that He revealed this to me and just in time. This was one week ago and having a revived Spirit for the things of God I looked up "keepers at home" thank you for your blog it has encouraged my heart today!

    ReplyDelete