Friday, May 2, 2008

Courtship An Alternative Part Four

Engagement!
This one is short, sweet and to the point.

The young couple has been a'courting. They have decided they are right for one another. Now what?
According to Mr. Andrews, the first thing the young man should do is check in with his dad. After his dad has given the go ahead it's time to approach the young woman's father. The fathers should have been evaluating the relationship and should have a definate opinion on how things are going. Mr. Andrews says that the young man should have been communicating with the young woman's father the entire time. He should have been asking for evaluations and have an idea where he stands.



Here is the opportunity for the young man to ask for his beloved's hand in marriage. The father gives his blessing and then he must approach his beloved. If she should say yes, then the engagement is on. But, what if after all his hard work she says, no? Mr. Andrews says, that you have the blessing of the father and can continue to try to win her heart. Here is one of my favorite quotes, "God has made men out of boys who would not take no for an answer." :) This does not mean he should be obnoxious, but there is nothing wrong for persuing and fighting for the girl of his heart. It could make a huge impression on her. Remember we girls are responders.
The engagement period should allow only enough time to prepare for the wedding. The two should be prepared for marriage by now with schooling and other hinderances out of the way. If this is not so they should not have entered into a courtship. Mr. Andrews says, and I agree that, "Extended engagements only lead to physical pressures, because both now know that they are committed to each other."
Marriage is a beautiful thing. I love being married. I truly wish I had saved my heart and love for this man of mine. I was so busy giving it away growing up that it is still damaged and recovering. The practice of modern dating in my eyes is useless and dangerous. How often did relationships end and others begin within a few weeks. Is that really good practice for marriage? When the going gets tough you switch partners? Phew, how many times would some of us be divorced right now? I am so greatful for the example of Mr. Andrews and others like him. People who are willing to venture off the mainstream path and try something different. People who are willing to admit what they did wrong and share what they did right. As someone who is part of "mainstream christianity" I have no idea what Im doing with these kids of mine. I don't want to parent like those around me. I turn to the wisdom of others who have gone on before and made it work. I also find answers in God's word. How greatful and I am for that resource. LOL.

I hope you enjoyed this series. If you have any input or advice it would be strongly appreciated. Just don't tell me that I have to let my kids date or they will rebel. I reject that teaching and do not agree with it. :)

Be Blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this with us! It was a great read. I'm 20 and I so wish my parents hadn't allowed me to date when I was younger. I don't think they knew better though. I am thankful, though, to have discovered that there IS a better way before I suffered too much heartbreak. I just wish more young people realized how important it is to guard your heart as well as your body.
    Peace,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete