Thursday, August 23, 2007

Do you get it all done in one day?

This was asked by sweet Mrs. Ivy. My answer.... not even a little bit. LOL. She asked in reference to this post, which I must say has been a tremendous help, even when I don't get to everything on the list. I love the freedom of not having to follow a strict timed schedule, but having an idea of when everything needs to be done. The kids have been a great help getting their jobs done. I will post a list of their jobs in another posts. I have given up the routine jobs of washing dishes, doing laundry, emptying wastebaskets, sweeping, cleaning the table, and vacuuming. These can take a lot of your day. They are jobs the kids can easily do according to their ages. It leaves me more time to declutter, organize, and tackle the big jobs (like my bedroom!!)
As far as getting it all done and homeschooling. I don't work in the home though I know there are homeschool moms out there who do. The great thing about homeschooling is there are so many different ways to do it. I'm not the type of person to call any curriculum wrong. I'm a bit eclectic with Classical and Charlotte Mason type stuff. Some used the boxed curriculum like Alpha and Omega. Some use the videos with Abeka. Some use everyday life called unschooling. I have a friend that enrolled her son in a private school and they send her all of his work. She sends it back when he is done and they grade it. Its set up just like school, but he gets to stay home and do it. Whatever works for you. I think anyone who wants to homeschool, I mean really wants to, can do it. Like I told my friend who is just starting this year. If you are scared, start with the box and decide what you like and don't like. Read how others do their homeschool, but don't try to duplicate it. Just like your children are different then other people's children, your homeschool has to be different than other people's homeschool. We are all at different seasons of life as well. Another friend started homeschooling her four children when three of them were either in highschool or going into highschool. She was scared to death. She is strictly a "box" momma and uses the Alpha and Omega program. My kids are all younger. I get a little more time to experiment with them, before I have to worry about graduation and college.
She is a mom to four teenagers and now a grown son. I'm the mom to 5 children 10 and under. Another friend is a mom to two daughters 5 and 2. Another friend has two boys and one on the way. Her boys are 3 and 19m. Another lady, a friend, I know has a 12 year old son, a 4 year old son, and a 2 year old daughter. We are all at different places in life. We all parent differently. We all homeschool.
Am I organized? NO! Do I gt it all done? NO! Am I always striving to do better? YES! Will I ever be satisfied that I did enough with the kids? Not a chance! LOL.
I will know that my children are getting a superior education from someone who loves them. Who wants to see them succeed. Who wants to see them keep God first in their lives and love Him and serve Him above all else. I will know where my young children are at all times. I will know what they are learning and who they are learning it from.
This to me is priceless. Its worth a sometimes cluttered, messy house. Its worth having to patch up a pair of jeans just one more time. Its worth more than any material possession I could ever posses.
I love homeschooling and if its something you are interested in I say give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. It gives me a lot of hope that I might be able to pull it off when the time comes to homeschool Megs. And I think the time will come. Fortunately this year she has a young, enthusiastic teacher that she absolutely loves. We'll see how it goes as time progresses- she finds school very boring. I think the time will come, sooner or later, where she's so bored I'll have to pull her out so she can excel.

    Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete