Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Our goals and vision

Today Im hoping to do a little catch up with our school. My oldest has a little bit of work I want her to complete before we start "afresh" next week. We are adding subjects starting next week. Latin and History. Science and Sign Language if I can get the stuff this weekend. Then in February we are going to add art and music. Mostly all of this will be fun stuff for the kids. For Latin we are using Prima Latina. Karly will do the bulk of the work, Kelsie will do some drills and memorization and the younger kids will just listen to the CD. I might try them out on memorizing some of the prayers. No major stuff for them. We will do Latin on Mon, Wed, and Fri and then on Tuesday and Thursday we will do some fun sign language if time permits.
Science and History will be done at night when dad is home. Im so thankful for his willingness to be involved. Because of it I was able to pick some of the more involved projects from Story of The World Volume 1 and Mystery of History Creation to Resurection. I think the kids will enjoy them. Once again Karly will do more of the book work, Kelsie will listen to the readings do dictation and review questions along with the projects and the younger children will listen to the readings and help with the projects.
For Science though I dont have the stuff yet we will probably be following the Well Trained Mind Recomendation for 1st year science. Although I keep going back to Christian Kids Explore Biology. It will all be decided for sure by this weekend.
Karly finished First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Child so I will be starting her on Rod and Staff English 3 in the next couple of weeks. I may need to wait until next month but have not really decided yet.
I am starting Adrian and Tamara full force in preschool. We will learn all the letters through this month and Feb and starting in March they will start learning to read. In April I will be starting both of them in Saxon Math K. Hopefully by August they will be ready to start Saxon Phonics K. It helped so much to have Kelsie reading a little bit before we did Saxon Phonics. I only do the K year of Phonics and then we supplement with reading and spelling to help them better their reading skils.
Today as I was having my quiet time I thought about my goals of homeschooling. What I really want is children who grow to be adults who can have a conversation with anyone and be able to clearly present the gospel to an educated person or a illiterate person. I want them to have an answer for what they believe. We are following a pretty strict education program with our kids, but we like it because not only does it require them to be disciplined but it will require them to be articulate and well read. No education is not our primary goal and if God led us down a different road away from Classical education we would go that way. Our primary goal is kids who are made for eternal kingdom work. If our children grow up loving God and cheerfully serving him then we have accomplished our goals. If our children pass on biblical truths and a love of God to their children we have accomplished our goals. If our children's children pass on these things to their children we have accomplished our goals.
Father, grant my request that the number of my descendants in heaven is equal to the number I have on earth.
This is our written family vision. We are hoping this year to elaborate on it a little bit and set some clear goals that will bring us closer to its fufillment. In our home for 2007 our focus will be on God and family. Im excited!

1 comment:

  1. We have so very much in common. I am checking out the links on your post for today. Thank you!!

    It's always nice to get some encouraging homeschooling ideas.

    Staci

    ReplyDelete