Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Tale of Two Books

I went to bed early last night and did not get a chance to post this. But here we go. These are two of the best books I have read. I have a huge stack of books Im reading through right now and as I come across books that are must haves I will let you know.







I picked up this book through our inter library loan system. It came in about a week after I ordered it and I rushed to the library to pick it up. I'd heard great things about this book as I was searching for some way to raise up my oldest daughter to be more ladylike. The book was actually written towards young ladies, with discussion questions at the end of each chapter. There is much encouragement to read the book with your mother and discuss with her the questions. I did not get to finish the book, but I know I will buy it probably in the next two years. It talked a lot about turning your heart towards home, honoring your father, helping your mother. It was the exact opposite of what the world and even the church is trying hard to teach our daughters. It built on charachter traits that a godly woman should posses. My goal is to train my daughters to embrace Biblical womanhood. This book will help to reinforce that training.




This is the book Im reading right now during my devotional time in the morning. I cant say enough good things about it. Mrs. George gives practical everyday advice on how to train your children up in the Lord. She says to immerse them in Christian influence. Christian books, CDs, videos.... all of it. Here are a couple of applications I have taken from this book.
My kids and I are reading through the gospel of Matthew. We read one story every morning. After reading I tell the children to illustrate the story we just read. When we are done I will put each child's pages together and they will have their very own Jesus book.
We have decided to replace most of our kids books and movies with Christian themed books and movies. My kids can quote The Princess Bride to you left and right. I thought how great if we showed them Bible stories and other moral movies for them to quote and act out. Also, they love to read books over and over so we decided to build our library more in the direction of things we want to make sure our children remember and understand. I spent a good chunk of money at Lifeway last week. We are doing a book basket for Easter this year. I am going to get a big basket and stuff it with books, CDS, videos and audio books for the kids.
I think every Christian mother should have a copy of this book in her library. It has truly changed the way I relate to my kids. I also am so greatful for the ideas she gave me. She is a mother of two grown daughters who have children of their own and she talks a lot about how those daughters are raising their children to love the Lord. Thats enough proof for me. She obviously has a tried and true method. :) Moms, if you only buy one book this year, make it this one!!

1 comment:

  1. Raising Maidens of Virtue is one of favorite books for studies with girls!

    ReplyDelete