Saturday, August 29, 2009

What makes me wrong?

I am always making up scenarios in my head. I like to think it's me following scriptures you know where Paul tells us to be ready with an answer for what we believe. I'm just practicing here. But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 1Peter 3:15
One of my favorite scenarios is where people gang up on me to challenge the way we raise our children. You know one or two do-gooders decides that my children will be forever scarred because they don't __________ fill in the blank (go to youth group, go to children's church, date, go to school, do sleepovers...).
The big question that I pose in my head to these people (who are already talking about me behind my back in real life by the way) is what makes me wrong except for your opinion that I am wrong?

Why exactly do my children have to be "in the real world"? I mean really? Is the real world sex at sixteen (or even younger now)? Is the real world hanging out at the mall all day trying to find a boyfriend? Is the real world sitting in a classroom with twenty other people your age trying to get through Algebra? Is the real world throw a pie at your youth leader night?


Can I ask, what is wrong with having innocent girls? With having boys who are more concerned with their latest Lego creation than with girls? If my daughter goes into marriage innocent and naive because we have protected her is that so wrong? I don't see anywhere in the Bible that says that my kids have to "experience" things to grow up to live good lives.

Isn't it weird that the Bible talks about God sheltering us and being our shelter, but other Christians point out how we are sheltering our kids too much? Just something to think about.

For thou hast been a shelter for me, [and] a strong tower from the enemy. Psalm 61:3

Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, Psalm 17:8
Be Blessed!

4 comments:

  1. I love my sweet, *innocent* babies and I pray I can protect that innocence for years to come. Not by hiding them away from the world, but merely being careful and not pushing them out into the world all alone!

    You are loving those beautiful children and I'm ashamed of those other Christians!!

    ~Luv ya~
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be right there with you. My children don't do any of those things either! May God give all of us the courage to do was is best for our children!

    ReplyDelete