Saturday, August 1, 2009

I'm going box...

First of all I should say that I absolutely love home education. I love being with my kids. I love knowing what they are learning. I love learning what they are learning.
I also really love the flexibility. If something is not working for my kid/kids I can switch it up. I can teach to their learning style.
That being said, I really hate the flexibility that home education offers. I hate finding out something is not working. I hate switching things up. I hate feeling like I am failing in some way.
Remember just a few short months ago when I wrote this post with the utmost of confidence. I'd made my decisions. This is how it's going to be done!
Enter Roy and I's annual field trip to the homesechool convention. Dreaded, dreaded words. WAIT! Before you get onto me for falling for all they hype and grandeur of the curriculum fair I want to say that what I walked away this year was invaluable. DH quickly agreed with my musings which makes me believe it was truly a God thing. Usually he wants to analyze everything to death.

What I walked away with this year was a serious need for my kids to start enjoying learning. To take out the stress that we call homeschooling and build a less stressful (not stress free, though I can strive towards it), more peaceful, fun, loving atmosphere of home education.
My 12 year old daughter is heading rapidly toward puberty. The battles are becoming longer and more drawn out. Ground is being claimed and the peace of our home is crumbling. In an effort not to label my child I will say briefly that she has obstacles to overcome that a lot of kids don't have. Puberty looks to be a time of regression for her in many ways. I have to learn to roll with that. I have to learn which ground to stand on and which to back down from. School is one I have decided to - compromise on- for lack of a better word.
She hates worksheets and having to sit and do a sheet until it's done. Saxon Math is one big battle between the two of us. She needs more interaction. She can't spend more than a little bit of time on a lesson before she quits trying, or becomes overwhelmed.




We are looking at Teaching Textbooks for Karly and possibly even Kelsie. I have to sit Kelsie down for a couple of sample lessons to see what she thinks. I would love Kelsie to be able to do it because it would free up more of my time to work with Tamara and Adrian on reading.
Another thing we are looking at is a more Charlotte Mason type education with Amblesideonline as a "curriculum".
We are not 100% sure yet that's the direction we want to go in, but I think the kids would find it more enjoyable. They enjoy our read aloud and discussion time that I fit in every now and then . I'm also thinking this would strengthen the comprehension skills that I see sorely lacking in all of my kids. I am still pouring over Amblesideonline and my Charlotte Mason Companion book.
I also have a ton of websites marked to look over some more.
One thing I thought I would do is read Aesop's Fables to the kids during the month of August and practice some simple narration. That way if we decided to move this direction in the fall we would have practice.



We are finally enjoying our Mystery of History Book 1 study and Considering God's Creation for Science so I think I will keep both of those and then just let the kids read other history time periods during their free reading suggested by Amblesideonline. We will also incorporate some of the Nature study into our diet as we are hoping to start some simple hiking this fall.


As far as art and composers we have started that and I think we have found a comfortable groove with the fun little books I have right now. We will finish those books in August and then replace them with the suggested studies from Amblesideonline.
I'm a little nervous about the change with my two oldest. I'm sure it will not hurt them, but it will take a lot for me to get out of the groove of having a lesson finished every day. I'm worried about portfolio evaluations most. I want to make sure I have enough work to show to my evaluator in May.
I think Charlotte Mason would be a good fit for all of us. While I'm not ready to commit to it 100% yet, I am definitely leaning more that way.
Of course I could always just switch to a nice, neat, tidy box curriculum. Ahh.. let me dream about it for awhile...
Guess I'll be sticking to a more traditional school year.. this year anyway! :)
Be Blessed!




4 comments:

  1. We love Charlotte Mason, and started this approach last year! I am learning more all the time...it really works, and my 7 yr old is now an avid reader. We also do nature study ans some other things. I have also heard that teaching textbooks are wonderful for math.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, My name is Susan and I just happened upon your blog when I searched "Keepers of the home". What lovely timing though as I read your post I did a similar post yesterday, "curriculum and change". I'm searching, wanting something a tad different to bring more fun into my home. I want my children to LOVE learning instead of dreading it.
    I love Charlotte Mason and also the rotation of History in the Classical Education model. I love Ambleside Online except for the fact that I have four children and found it quite overwhelming that each year (grade) there are different books offered and lists. She really does a great job but I never figured out how to combine grades. I suppose I didn't look closely enough nor worked hard enough on it. But I did find a site that seemed a lot simpler to coordinate all the learning levels. http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/
    Just what you need, another website. :)
    I found this site to be a really wonderful resource for ideas. Especially I love her CYOC (Create Your Own Curriculum) section with the ideas for Science units, poet units, etc. Check it out. I think you'll like it. The CYOC planning pages are free.
    You have a wonderful blog. I'm glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popping in for a look-see since I haven't been here in a while and I have to say:

    Good for you!

    Gotta make sure homeschooling is an enjoyable overall experience or the relationships we treasure with our children will begin to falter.

    I'll be back soon to see what other wonderful things you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've used Ambleside throughout the years and the only complaint the girls have about it is the 'old english' wordage. Not that you need any more on your plate to consider, but check out www(dot)oldfashionededucation(dot)com

    It uses antique/vintage books that you can get online free or through amazon cheap ~ I'm going this route with the girls this year - still teaching Charlotte Mason style! Love that for sure!

    How've you been anyhow - stranger? Miss talking with you!

    ReplyDelete