Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Three sisters

Sisters through and through, that's what my girls are. They laugh together, cry together, argue with one another, and fight to the death for the other. Sisters. I never had a blood sister growing up. Fortunately I found some wonderful older girls who semi-took the role.
I remember not long after I got engaged I emailed Roy's three sisters. I told them how excited I was to finally have sisters. Oh, if I only knew then what that would mean.


Various family squabbles through the years have put people in and out of touch with one another. The last time we were all together was in 2001 when the siblings came together for a picture session for their parents.
Through it all Ellen, the oldest, was a rock. She kept up with everyone. Her sisters talked to her daily. Through Ellen we found out what was happening with nieces and nephews. She was the peacemaker. She hated the fighting.




This past weekend I watched two sisters trying to cope and learn to function without the third sister. It was heartbreaking. I watched a little brother look around lost and dejected. I watched him cling to his two remaining sisters, one who'd refused to speak to him for years. Watched these three siblings remember the one who held them all together.
I thought about my three little girls. I wondered what adult life held for them and their relationships. I prayed and prayed for the three little sisters that I'd left back home. My girls. Would they watch out for one another? Would they protect one another? I watch them even now and know that they will.
I think about the sister gone. Taken from the lives of her little sisters and baby brother. She has through death accomplished one thing that I know she hoped to always accomplish. Unity. She left behind sisters and a brother who understand the importance of one another now.
At Thanksgiving this year we will all come together again with our families to remember the lost sister. Brother and sisters will be thankful for one another. For time spent together with families.
Thanks Ellen!

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about such sorrow. But I wanted to say that by God's grace me and my three sisters are all very close even as we are all now "grown up". And by God's grace your girls will always be each others best friends as well. A family at odds is a sad, lonely thing. I am glad this has brought some of your loved ones closer. I will be praying that closeness will remain. Each moment is precious. With this post you made me remember that. Thank you.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that Julie! I'll be praying for your family. {hugs}

    ReplyDelete