Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Added to the bookshelf



(Click on picture to direct to Amazon)


I picked up this book at our local Christian bookstore the other day. I'd been waiting and waiting for them to get it in. I suggest everyone read this book.
I remember clearly about a year ago I listened to three mom's that I know of teenage girls talk about the boys coming around. "What can we do?" was the sigh by all three moms. I turned to tell them about courtship and then promptly stopped. They were all smiling about it. They honestly thought that any thing other than dating would never work. We could never ask these young girls to give up their "right" to date.
I climbed back into my shell and ashamedly did not even mention courtship or anything like it.
My daughter is only 12 what do I know anyway?


These kids are way to precious to me to just send out at 13,15,16 and say good luck! Hope you pick a winner! In the above mentioned book, Reverend Baucham suggests we not only protect our daughters and actively help them in choosing a mate, but that we also spend the time it takes to raise up young men to meet these expectations. Why should we focus only on training girls to be wives and mothers and forget that we need to train our sons to be husbands and fathers? As much as we need to show our girls the right way to find a mate we need to show our sons how to respect his future wife enough to be ready to court her properly.


This girl. My 12 year old, lives in a world where boys and dating and relationships are constantly thrust at her. On every tv show/movie geared toward her age every girl is interested in some boy or dating some boy.... we don't watch them here but she is still exposed no matter how careful we are. Even in church girls her age are going out on "dates" with boys. Sometimes with parents along, sometimes with friends. Twelve year olds?
I got this book for her mainly. So that we can know how to guide her. So she can see that there is an alternative.


These boys are going to grow to be men. I have a serious problem with the Peter Pan syndrome of today. Men who never grow up. I know one man who is going to be 40 soon. His ex girlfriend had his baby over a year ago. He picks him up on Saturday night, brings him back on Sunday night. His new girlfriend watches the baby. He balks at paying child support. Seriously? GROW UP!
Our boys are going to be raised to be responsible. When it's time, they will take a wife build a family. We are training them to be protectors, providers, priests, and prophets of their homes. And unless God wills it they will not be doing those things at 40.
Read the above referenced book.



These two little girls will hopefully benefit from any wisdom we pick up while charting these waters with their sister. At 9 and 7, they have not really noticed boys yet. Beyond their sister telling them about a cute boy.
One of the great illustrations used by Voddie Baucham and also by Paul Washer is a man's prized car. Maybe it's an extended cab brand new truck, shiny. Maybe it's a Porshe that a man saved his whole life for. Would he hand over the keys to this to a pimply faced boy of sixteen? No? Well then why would he hand over his precious 16 year old daughter?
Be Blessed!



4 comments:

  1. I read the book several months ago and thought it was good also. It is a message that is desperately needed.

    Have you read "Her Hand In Marriage" by Douglas Wilson? I think it is the most complete book on courtship and preparing for marriage. The author seems to have a good balance between legalism and lawlessness in regard to dating/courting/pursuing marriage. I highly recommend it.

    Your children are so beautiful! I want to read more of your adoption posts some day when I have more time. God has given me a heart for adoption and I love to read stories about how He blesses families with these precious children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard growing up because dating was just so exected. But the other hard part was the constant, "Just make sure he's a Christian" banter I got. Many a young man was pointed out as a prospect simply because they were supposidly Christian (many weren't, they were just going to church because mom made them and youth group was a great diversion), but they lacked so many other great qualities a suitor should have. Consequently, I married a man with all the excellent qualities, but wasn't saved. However, he was highly approved of by my father and my father couldn't wait for us to get married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Julie...I am struggling with this SO much. Charlotte is boy-crazy...one word! How did that happen? We do not allow tv shows geared toward tweens, and she is home schooled..yet there are neighbor girls who are 12 and have "made out"...yeesh!! We watch a lot of the Duggars tv show. I am praying this will pass. I highly doubt it, but whatever, I need to take the reins here. Just do not know which way to steer...straight ahead or far left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith, that book is on my list.
    Adoption was truly God's plan for our life. I am so blessed.

    Kate, I was not even sure what courtship was when I first heard of it. Dating was expected for me as well. I see the scars on my own heart though from being in so many different relationships. I hope to save my daughters some of that.
    Your husband is still on my prayer list, friend. I believe God is going to save him and I can't wait!

    Bren, Karly is the same way. She is starting to be sneaky about it because she knows we don't approve. Usually it's her sisters telling me about her latest boyfriend. I try not to make a big deal because I'm not sure what to do.
    I'm thinking she is picking up some stuff at g-ma's house. She goes over there to clean once a week and I found out the Disney channel stays on while she is over there. A book I am enjoying is Keeping Our Children's Hearts by Steve and Terri Maxwell. It has given me lots of great ideas for protecting her.

    ReplyDelete