Sunday, July 5, 2009

Through this season

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: Ecclesiastes 3:1

As I grow older the above verse makes more and more sense to me. I understand the different seasons of my life a little bit more.

As the mother of children ranging in ages of 3-12 I realize that I am at a very unique season of life.

As the wife of a man with parents in their 70s I understand that this season is a time of selflessness.

The sandwich generation is what they are calling it. Adults who are caring not only for the needs of their own children, but also taking care of ailing parents.



This past week Dh and I experienced this in a whole new way. My father in law had hip replacement surgery so we loaded up our kids and our van and left on Thursday night. He had some complications so when we got there he'd been moved from his rehab back to the hospital. Fortunately my SIL, a CNA, was staying with his mother during this time so she was able to tell us about the complication and everything that went with it. In the end it turned out to be pretty minor and he was sent back to rehab on Friday.
Friday we took my SIL to the airport and it was game on for our family. We were left to care for my MIL. It was a very trying weekend and on Sunday Dh sent the kids and I home for a day or two of respite. I spent all day Monday in prayer and asking for prayer from others. I also started the second half of our school year. I knew due to certain circumstances that I would be able to successfully school at my in laws home on Wed. and Thurs. So instead of postponing everything I went ahead and started.
Tuesday afternoon I loaded the kids and the car back up and headed back down ready to be a better helpmeet to my husband.



The next few days were hard, but Roy and I had a couple of opportunities to share Jesus with my MIL. I was given new insight into the absolute utter lostness of man apart from Jesus that has completely changed my heart. With God's help I made it to Friday before I snapped and only just a little bit. My kids were able to see what a difference our home is to a lost person's home. They were also given opportunity to serve and honor their grandparents.
Through all the downs and downs God sustained us and made us stronger with every passing day. He gave my FIL healing in such a sense that we were able to return home as a family on Friday after he got out of rehab.
God has also given us some new decisions to make. One is whether we will be moving closer to them. They are only about 3.5 hours away right now, but that is still a hoof with a van full of kids. Also with a home of our own down there I believe we would be better able to minister to them physically and spiritually without neglecting our small children.
Roy is not really sure yet this is the direction he wants to take. It was hard on him the last few days. He is praying through the possibility. Me? My bags are packed. But then that's why I married a Mr. Steady to keep me from making rash moves.
In the end I realize I could have been more gracious and had more of a servant's heart. I am so thankful that God is teaching me through all of this. I am starting to see my theme for the year run it's way through this part of my life. The theme of choosing joy and letting go of my happiness. Maybe that's what the first half of the year was about. Getting me to this place where I can easily say that yes, moving closer to them is an option. An option I would be open to and sincerely content with.

Who knows where God is taking us this time. LOL

Be Blessed!

2 comments:

  1. I like to serve others, doing nice things, helping them, but some times we have to serve when it is just plain work. You need to make sure you keep yourself filled with the joy of the Lord so that you have something to give in their time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently came upon your blog and I really appreciate the stand you show for Christ. Can I ask where you find such lovely pictures that you use on your blog.

    ReplyDelete