Monday, March 2, 2009

Guarding your mind.

Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Through all the trials and tribulations of the last few months one thing has become abundantly clear to me. People don't give up on their marriages over night. Spouses don't turn to someone else to fulfill their needs on the spur of the moment one day. We don't turn our children over to the enemy on a whim. No one has ever become an alcoholic after one drink. A junkie just because they were in the car with someone who was lighting up. These are all things that happen gradually. Especially in a believer's life. A Slow Fade if you will.

How should we avoid the Slow Fade? BE ON GUARD! If I think my husband is not happy about something in our marriage we need to talk about it now. If some man is trying to get my attention I need to notice it for what it is and let my husband know. If I see one of my kids heading down a dangerous path I need to stop them. We must, must, must be on guard. To be on guard we HAVE to be aware of what's going on around us. To be aware of what's going on around us we need to be in CONSTANT fellowship with the Father.
Some people scoff at me but I pray all the time that if my kids are getting away with something that I will catch them. This has led to many instances where I have caught my children in lies, stealing, cheating, anger.. whatever. I have to be aware of what's going on in my family. One lie could lead to many. One day my child will be an adult and not know how not to lie if I don't stop it now.



To be on guard means to be aware of what we are putting into our minds. What are we allowing in? I watched a video the other day on the homosexual agenda in America. In 1989 a book came out about how the homosexuals were going to turn America around. The first thing? Desensitizing. They got into Hollywood. Homosexuals on movies and television shows were like able buddies. Characters you grew to love and empathize with. Even in the Christian church we don't so much condemn the sin anymore because that would be too close to letting our buddy down.
What about something not quiet so dramatic. Language. Some of the language you hear just running errands now a days would have been thought completely wrong just a few decades ago. Now, some kid says a bad word on T.V. and America laughs. Because we heard it so much on television and in the movies it's ok to say it now. Desensitizing.


Our preacher gave us a list of how to renovate your mind. I am going to share it with you now.
1. Take all reading, listening, and viewing materials not good, pure, helpful, just, lovely.. and throw them out.
2. Replace the above materials with God's word. Practice meditating on God's word.
Psalms 1:2, "But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."
3. Pack your mind full of God's word. Read it, study it, meditate on it, memorize it. Read books by Christian authors. Elizabeth George, Charles Spurgeon, Voddie Baucham, George Whitfield, Matthew Henry, Elizabeth Elliot, Billy Graham.. there are so many great Christian authors out there.
4. Put a picture, a full size portrait, of Jesus in the front of your mind. Keep it there. I also walk around just saying Jesus' name out loud to keep him front and center in my mind.
5. Be aware of His presence, purity, and power. This will cause wrong thoughts to move under His control.

I hope, my friends, that you understand that this is just something I am working through in my own life. If it helps someone else out thats great! I appreciate you letting me share this journey with ya'll.
Be Blessed!


7 comments:

  1. My pastor said in his sermon on Sunday that any astronaut or pilot knows that if you start out just one degree off, by the end of your journey, you're WAAAYYY off course. He used it as an illustration of how we can allow sin to just creep in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopped by to say hello !! I have been catching up on your blogs. You have a lot of good stuff here!!
    Hope you are doing well.

    Miss ya-
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! We need to constantly be on guard - feeding ourselves the only medicine that matters - SCRIPTURE - I am with you my friend. And the enemy can sneek in through the most unknown, least thought of ways - like a close family member (even a teen devotional Bible). Be. on. guard.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no - I just typed a big soap box comment and blogger ate it! AHH....well, it was affirming everything you said and giving some personal examples that I just went through. But, that must wait for another time.

    Society wants us to embrace relative truth and its permeating into everything - so scary. Thanks for the reminder to be on gaurd (and that was only 1/3 of my comment.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil. 4:8 is one of my all time favorite verses. I am all the time asking one of my sweeties," Now is that kind or profitable". I just think it is a perfect verse for how we should live. Thank you for the great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, what an awesome illustration. I will tuck that one away.

    Dotblogger, thanks for the encouragement. It's been a tough time but Im thankful for the things I am learning.

    Rachelle, been missing you. Are you back to blogging also?

    Mrs. B, thanks for those words. I appreciate them.

    Mrs. Trixie, we are learning that in this family as well.

    Jen, thanks for taking the time to retype what you did. Great comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh, thank you so much for sharing this topic of guarding your mind. I love the pictures that go along with your words from your heart. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete