Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Food Diary - Wednesday

For breakfast the kids had oatmeal. I noticed the other day the oatmeal made me sluggish so I opted for two eggs. Dh had an egg sandwich after the kids and I left for our homeschool co-op.

For lunch we had leftover chicken and rice from last night.

For dinner I am making hamburger patties and melting a slice of mozzarella cheese on top. I will also saute some mushrooms and onions. I have some red potatoes that are getting old so we will mash those up. And I know I have some frozen veggie in the freezer. End meal!

Tip of the day: Don't be afraid to make your own. Your own bread. Your own spice mixtures. Your own salad dressings and condiments. It really does save money and it's healthier. If you have older children teach them how to do these things. Call it school. I am teaching my two oldest girls to bake bread in the next few weeks. Eventually it will be their job.

3 comments:

  1. Invest in a mill (grinder) if you don't already have one - homemade bread doesn't get any better than that made from fresh ground flour! They ARE costly, but SO worth the money spent - NutriMill is a good one to go with!

    And then find yourself a pasta machine at a thrift store and make your family fresh, whole-wheat, pasta - oh how yummy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BETTER YET - find a friend that would be willing to send you the one she found at a thrift store, for the simple woman swap ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do a lot of stuff from scratch, It actually enhances our family time as well.

    ReplyDelete