Monday, March 16, 2009

Food Diary - Monday

I did not have to go to the grocery store for big shopping this week and probably next because I have chicken, beans and rice over flowing. It's nice when I am a little low on funds to have the needed ingredients just waiting for me. I stopped off and picked up 2 18 pack eggs, 2 gallons of milk, and 2 boxes of oatmeal. These are staples that I usually do have to buy every two weeks.
Anyways here are our meals for today.

Breakfast was oatmeal. I can make two big containers last about 2 weeks. We eat oatmeal about 4-5 days a week. Sometimes if we are in a hurry I smear peanut butter on tortillas or we have eggs on tortillas.

Lunch was cheesy rice. This is just leftover rice with some frozen mixed veggies (which I ALWAYS have in my freezer) and herbs (whatever's handy) fried in butter or sesame oil and topped with grated cheese. We either have this, leftovers, or quisadillas for lunch.

Dinner will be shepherd's pie. I take some ground beef, beans if I have some (to stretch the beef), veggies and either bar b que sauce if I have it or some gravy and mix it together with whatever herbs and spices I grab. I top it with mashed potatoes (from real potatoes, it really is cheaper and does not take that long) and shredded cheese. I bake it for 15-30m and boom dinner is served. If I have stuff to make a salad I will throw a salad with it. I do buy the big cans of mixed fruit and sometimes we will have that on the side. Tonight I don't have either one so it's solo. I think I have some apples so we might cut those up and let the kids have that for dessert.

We don't snack a lot around here. I try to keep apples, oranges, and bananas around. If I have them I will cut up carrots ( I always buy them whole and wash and cut myself). But we rarely snack on those. We might have them with a meal or if we are on the go.

Tip for today: Make up big batches of beans and freeze or can. Use them to stretch beef recipes. I can use a little bit of beef and get away with it if I have some beans to either mash up and throw into a recipe or just throw them in whole. Kidney beans and pinto beans work great for this.

Be Blessed!

1 comment:

  1. You are OH! so organized my friend! I've been slacking in that department!

    Have you been by lately? Read the post about hubby and I taking the classes, readying ourselves for foster/adopt? Yep, we're doing it AGAIN! Stop by sometime and chat!

    By the way - our trip has to wait until next year - we chose to buy the van instead! It was a unanamous vote :o)

    ReplyDelete