Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Choosing Joy

I hope my last post did not lead anyone to think that I am sad or depressed. I recognize the trials we are going through as growing our faith. I have a bad cold and every morning I wake up I can choose to be lazy and sick or I can choose to get up and be joyful. Through the stuffy nose and aches I am counting my blessings. It's a choice I make.
I have been resting more because I recognize that a cold is the body's way of saying, "Slow down!" But I am not depressed or staying to my bed. That would only make it worse for me.
I admit I have had a few days of questioning God. I have had times of wanting to give up and wallow in self pity. Ok, I might have taken a moment or two out for self pity, but it did not help any. What has helped is choosing joy.

I said before that their is a difference between happiness and joy. Happiness is an emotion you feel when things are going your way or you are pleased. Joy is a response you choose no matter what life's situation is. I have had people tell me that I am being fake by pretending to be joyful when I am not. But tell me, what is accomplished by wearing a sad face? By going around saying, "Woe is me!"? What do I accomplish when I tell everyone my troubles and no one my blessings?


My family is healthy. We have food to eat. We have a house to live in. My husband has a job. I am able to be with my children. I have children. Jesus loves me. Tell me what more could I ask for?




God is good. God is faithful. I have nothing to fear. When I hurt He feels it. When I am sad He feels it. When I am thankful He feels it.
God, I am so very thankful! You have blessed me beyond measure. If all my praise is saved up for the good times, how will I get through the hard times? I will praise you when I feel weak and downtrodden. I will praise you on the mountain and in the valley. Nothing can separate me from your love.
AMEN!!
Be Blessed!



4 comments:

  1. Amen! You DO seem to be in better spirits through this post! Happy to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep choosing joy. When you get down, just choose it again. No recriminations. Praise God for faith, hope, love, grace, and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. B and Amy, thanks for your encouragement. It's not always easy, but God is really helping me through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    I need your blog right now - more than anything. Thanks for this piece. I need to once again get closer to God, to fellowship with my husband and get control over my life and emotions.

    Thanks for your "directions"in the right way.

    ReplyDelete