Monday, January 19, 2009

THE BEST!!

Just a note before starting. These pictures have nothing to do with today's blog, but they are so darn cute! I love teddy bears! Ahem, carry on!

Matthew 16:21-27, "From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works."
So my children and I were reading through Matthew the other day and we came upon the verses above. We stopped to talk about them and God granted me an insight into something. Happiness. Our mission from God has nothing to do with our being happy. There I said it. Let me say it another way. Our happiness.. well frankly, it does not matter. Jesus was not happy about having to die on the cross but look at how He rebuked Peter for even mentioning that He would not have to. See, Jesus was on a mission from God. Come to earth as a man, teach, heal, preach, and then be crucified, buried and rise again all to save the people from their sins. Jesus rebuked the thought that he would not have to complete his mission from God. He would let nothing stand in the way.


Why do we as Christians think our happiness matters? Sure Jesus promised us abundant life. I think we are supposed to be joyful. But joyful and happy are two different things. Joyful is a choice you make. It's praising God through the storm. Happy is an emotion you feel when things are going your way. We were never put on this earth with the mission to be happy. We have all of eternity to be happy. Jesus was never happy on the cross. Why do some Christians think they get to end a marriage because they are not happy? Why do some Christians think they get to split a church because they are not happy? Why do some Christians think they get to compromise their families because they are not happy?


YOUR HAPPINESS DOES NOT MATTER! DOING WHAT GOD PUT YOU ON THIS EARTH TO DO IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS! This is the truth that God impressed so heavily on my life and told me to give to my children that day. I told them, sometimes being obedient to mom and dad does not make you happy, but guess what? Do it anyway! You were not placed here to make yourself happy your were placed here to make God happy. How do we make God happy? By loving Him and doing what He commands. Ask my three year old. It's part of our catechism and when he answers that question with confidence in his gleaming eyes it makes my heart swell!


Good, better, best! Does God ask us to do things that make us unhappy because He enjoys seeing us sad? NO! See God has this amazing thing going. Everything He asks us to do is the best thing for us. We could choose to take our kids to church every Sunday. That's good. We could choose to take them to church and say a prayer with every meal. That's better. We could choose to take them to church, pray with them all the time, and read, study and teach the scriptures with them and to them. That's the best! God wants to give you the best. As a parent of a young child don't we know whats best for them right now? Three square meals of candy is not best for them. They expect us to know what's best for them. How much more does our Heavenly Father know what is best for us?
If we could see our hard times and tribulations as God giving us the best we could endure them a lot more, I think. No, the hard times and tribulations are not the best, but the refining and the drawing closer to God, and obtaining more faith...that's the BEST!
When God asks you to walk away from a friendship, or a relationship (not your children or marriage!!), or a hobby, or tv show,... or whatever. He does not do it to make you unhappy. He does it because it's the best!
I hope this makes a little sense. I was so excited about it and could not wait to share. Please feel free to comment with questions or for clarification. :)
Be Blessed!




2 comments:

  1. Wow great post!!!
    I would never use the word legalistic to describe you or your blog. I think you see the mark, and aim for it...actually hitting it most of the time, and yes, your love absolutely shines through!!!!
    I have that Teddy Bears In The Attic print. It was in Zachary's nursery until he became a "man" at 7!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog this morning. This post has been exactly what my husband and I have been thinking about this week. I gave birth last Wednesday to a stillborn baby boy. Even though this is a very sad time for us we still have joy. My husband is a full time evangelist and we are now in California. I am as far away from my family as I can be (they are in Maine). But God has a job for us here. We are all put here on earth to bring glory to God. Even in our trials God is bringing us to a closer relationship with him. HE also wants us to keep telling other of the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. Thank you for the encouragement.

    sara (i share blogger with my husband)

    ReplyDelete