Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The best laid plans

Sometimes we make plans. We set goals. We dream dreams. Then something comes up to "distract" us.
A day at the beach. Enjoying the smell of the salty air. The sounds of waves crashing. Little sun tan lotioned bodies covered in sand and smiles. Enjoying one another and God's magnificent creation.

A garden! Millions of flowers in all sizes and colors. The smells sweet and tantalizing. Honey bees floating from flower to flower savoring the sweetness of each. Little hands covered in dirt as they hand you a wild weed and you declare it the most beautiful flower you have ever laid eyes on! A smile and the knowledge you have made a little boy's day!

A good book. Pictures and words that transport you to another place and perhaps another time. Knowledge. Understanding. Wisdom. The crinkling of pages. The smell of a newly opened book. The wonder of what will come next. Chubby fingers tracing the pictures and repeating the words.


A rainy day with friends. Time to snuggle up and watch a happily ever after movie. To pop popcorn and giggle over Elizabeth Bennett or Emma Woodhouse. Enjoying Laura Ingall's latest escapade. Wondering what Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer will dream up now! The crunching of popcorn and little sighs of happiness from awe struck little people.




Or a time of rest. A sick little boy. A drink of cold water. A soft touch on the forehead to make sure it's still cool. A lap that will hold and snuggle until the ache goes away. The smell of shampoo as he gets in closer and you kiss his head.
Sometimes our plans are changed, interrupted. Those times are God ordained for us to draw closer to our little ones.
Be Blessed!


5 comments:

  1. Hello! I read your blog daily and really enjoy your spiritual sweetness. I am a mother of 2, wanting MANY more, and I also work out of the home. It is a very strong desire of mine to be a stay-at-home Mom. Now, is not good timing, as my husband is laid off and it is not as strong of a desire for him. I'm REALLY struggling coming to work every day with some co-workers that are so worldly. My boss goes to church some and prclaims she is a Christian and I'm very thankful for this, but at the same time, she is much more wordly than I am (not that I am an example of a perfect Christian). How do I lead by example when I'm struggling so bad? How can I be happy where I am when my hearts desire is to be at home where God intended for me to be? I just need to be patient for God to open the door to let me stay at home and be thankful I have a job...right?
    Just wanted an honest opinion! :)
    Thanks,
    Elly

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful restful post! Thanks! It reminds me of one of my favorite songs, Cherish the Moments by Ron Hamilton.
    Blessings!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. Peaceful, encouraging.

    Thanks
    Amy

    ReplyDelete