Monday, January 5, 2009

All In A Day's Work

Phew, it's been a busy day! Good and productive. My favorite!
I worked on some life skills stuff with Adrian and Karly. Then I ran out of time. I will work with Kelsie and Tamara on Wednesday.
I made two loaves of bread (one of which is gone!), did laundry, helped Karly make banana bread, watched a cake decorating video and a crochet video, and did general cleaning.


Who says being at home is boring or dull? There are so many things on the list I DID NOT get to, that I will have to work on tomorrow and Wednesday. I had a great discussion with Karly today from our Raising Maidens of Virtue book. It was all about preparing to be a wife, mother, and homemaker, and what she can do today to be ready in a few years.

Yep, a few years. In April my oldest will turn 12. I only have a few years left to help her to be prepared for her years of marriage. I'm so thankful for the resources available, because I would be at such a loss if I were on my own.
What are you doing to prepare your daughters for marriage and homemaking?

5 comments:

  1. Hello Julie,

    I just wanted to let you know how much I've been enjoying your blog! (I can't remember how I found your blog!)

    I'm the oldest of 10, all of which are still at home. Being an example to your daughter of what a godly wife, Mother, and homemaker really is, is the best preparation your daughter could ever have! Talk a lot with your daughter and be really open with her. Ask the Lord to show you how to raise and model what a godly lady should look like. I am almost 25 and my sweet Mother is my best friend!

    God bless,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,

    I had to laugh when I read this post. I recently bought the book and my hubby made the comment that it was a little too soon to buy it for my 4 y.o. daughter. Well, I was buying it for myself!

    A little remedial reading for me! When you weren't taught this stuff by your own mother and mostly picked things up by book, watching others and by (sometimes) painful experience you kinda want to make sure you don't have any glaring gaps in knowledge before teaching my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, thanks! I love meeting young women still at home! It helps me to learn what to do while raising my daughters. Thank you for the thoughts.

    Amy, I love this book. I wanted it so badly from the first time I heard of it then found it on sale and snatched it up! It's a wonderful book and the big thing I told my daughter was that I so wish someone had told me half of what was in that book. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought about the book, but haven't purchased it since my only daughter is four. Perhaps, I should follow Amy's example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, I have a 5 year old and I can't help but to chime in, we found a great resource for the younger girls as well as the older ones, the books are from www.keepersofthefaith.com the books are Little Keepers and Keepers at Home. Please check them out, they were a blessing to us. One note is that the company is KJV ONLY, not a big deal or anything, just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete