Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Saturated

At the homeschool conference last week I found a company that was filled with delightful resources. I went back to this table many times. The company name is Doorposts. It is run by a homeschooling family. I purchased two things from them. One is the If-Then chart. It has a behavior, then a verse on why that behavior is wrong, then a space to write in the consequences for that behavior. We also purchased the book For Instruction in Righteousness this amazing tool has a ton of different behaviors, Bible verses on why the behavior is wrong, consequences from the Bible for said behavior, Bible stories of people who had problems with this behavior, and what we can receive when we overcome this behavior. Hubby and I are still reading through it, but its an awesome book.
We are trying to center our lives around the Bible a lot more right now. We want our home saturated with God's word. I am going to order the Bible curriculum from Veritas Press Genesis through Joshua. I have not had a Bible curriculum in the past for Karly and Kelsie, but one of our goals of homeschooling, which we are really hammering out right now, is for our children to know the Bible inside and out, through and through. Yes, Bible will be a part of our everyday life, but this curriculum will get down into the Word and take them deeper. After researching a TON of Bible curriculums this is what I came to. They all had pros and cons. I picked this one because it can relate back to history. I want the children to understand that Biblical happenings and historical happenings were going on at the same time. I want them to be able to grasp the significance of history and the Bible. Not revisionist history that talks of all our forefathers being atheists and what not but real true tangible history. Especially right now as we study the ancient history which paralleled so much of the Bible.
I will be going through Leading Little Ones To God with Adrian and Tamara.
We are starting a Bible memory incentive in our home. The older children will work to memorize and discuss the meaning of 3-5 Bible verses a week, the youngers will hide in their hearts 1-2 Bible verses a week. I will try to give more details of this as we iron it out.
During preschool time I will read at least one Bible story book.
Copywork for Kelsie and Karly is going to include scripture passages which they will also work to memorize.
I want my home saturated with Gods word. God's promises. God's love.
There are so many other changes we are in the process of making. One day at a time. We slip and fall back into old luke warm habits every now and then, but God knows we are striving. Our kids know we are striving for a more God-like home. Kids can be very forgiving when they know you are doing your best and trying to live out God's word. I'm amazed at the amount of grace my kids give me every day.

Be Blessed

2 comments:

  1. I, too feel the need for saturation. Even little things like my journal, my note pad and a calendar have Bible verses on them. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I had not thought about that. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete