Sunday, July 1, 2007

Delightful Stories



Are you ready for more high school humor? I am.

Lets start with my first "true" love. His name was Paul. We met in 8th grade and he was taller than me. (Very important in 8th grade) He had thick brown hair and puppy dog brown eyes. He was just as goofy and awkward as any 13 year old boy.

Here is a secret: all my guy friends in junior high were awkward and geeky. I loved them dearly and if you stick with me you will see how my love and devotion to them in junior high paid off in high school. They were the nicest group of guys. We sat together at lunch. On one side was Jason, Paul, and my friend Amanda. On the other side was Chris, Me, and Neil. We had a great time. Almost everyday milk would spew out of some one's nose we laughed so hard.

Anyways, I had the BIGGEST crush on Paul. I think he knew. Well I know he knew after Valentine's Day. My friend Amanda spent the night with me the night before Valentine's Day. My mom took us to Eckard's to pick up some candy and cards for our friends. I picked up a small cute box of candy for Paul and a little stuffed bear. Very, Very, Very little. Amanda grabbed a GIANT GIANT GIANT SIZE OF TEXAS chocolate key that said and I quote, "You hold the keys to my heart!" Cute huh? My mom being the wonderful wise woman she was says, "Um, I don't think that's a good idea." Me being the newly crowned know it all teenager of the home said, "Whatever mom. You don't know. Of course its a good idea. All I need is a chocolate key the size of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA to make Paul fall madly in love with me." Being the cruel person she is , my mom bought the darn thing. Can you believe that?

Well I flounce to school on Valentines Day just knowing that today I will taste sweet love. Amanda had homeroom downstairs with Paul and I had homeroom upstairs. The plan was laid. Amanda would bring Paul to the bottom of the stairs and I would hand him the chocolate key the size of North, South and Central America, and maybe a tiny bit of Europe. He would of course sweep me into his arms and declare that we must be boyfriend and girlfriend forever. So with chocolate key in sweaty palms and butterflies trying desperately to get out of my stomach, I walked rather unsteadily down the stairs. There my handsome prince awaited at the bottom of the stairs. Hand him the chocolate key that had somehow grown to be bigger than the Americas and all of Europe, smile sweetly and await his declarations of love. (LOL I have butterflies just typing this) As I looked into my beloved's eyes......I......I.....FREAKED OUT, threw the GIANT CHOCOLATE KEY at his head and ran blindly back up the stairs. Fortunately he caught the GIANT CHOCOLATE KEY, turned to Amanda who had so graciously fallen onto the floor laughing and said, "She just threw a chocolate key at me!"

I avoided him rather well for the next two class changes. Dreading lunch, which I knew would soon come. Of course first was science class. He sat across the room from me so I figured if I could get in there and get across the room I would be safe. The teacher being in what she referred to as her 200th month of pregnancy gave us some worksheets and let us have free time. I stuck like flypaper to my side of the room. I sat on the wall by the window. Could I have opened the widow and sat outside I would have. Could I have opened the window and sat outside across the street I would have. Believe me. My eyes were glued to the paper in front of me. I don't know what it said, I just knew I could. not. look. up. Then I harbored one small glance across the room to where Paul sat with a group of guys talking and carrying on. Of course he picked just that moment to pull out the GIANT CHOCOLATE KEY THE SIZE OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD and show it to "the guys". Then, I know not what he said but whatever it was caused every male head at that table, all 229 of them, to turn and look at me. Paul winked and smiled and I happily spent the rest of the class on the floor under the table pretending to read a book. When the bell rang I sat there for awhile waiting for the room to clear. When I walked out the door, Paul was waiting for me. We always walked from Science to lunch together. Today would be no different. I stared down at the floor. He steered me around obstacles. He kept up a steady stream of talking. Sweet boy. I think he knew how uncomfortable I was. At lunch he kept kicking me under the table. When I looked up he would smile and make a joke. He slid me his cookie. Winked at me and told me Happy Valentine's Day. I survived the "key" incident. Though at the time I was sure I would not. Paul and I stayed good friends through 8th grade. Maybe in some way we were "boyfriend" and "girlfriend". He would always walk me to class, share his notes with me, snitch the food off of my tray at lunch, kick me under the table and smile and wink when I looked up at him. One time when I did not know the answer in science class and everyone was looking at me, he blurted out the answer. We would walk down the hall together pretending to trip each other, but if he ever caused me to stumble he would reach out to steady me.

Tomorrow I will tell you about 9th grade with Paul and our locker sharing experience. And the many times he rescued me that year. I will also share with you the reason God took Paul out of my life. Why he did not answer my heartfelt prayer that we be together forever. God had someone else picked out for me. Someone perfect for me. Someone I love more than I ever "loved" Paul. Paul picked a different road for his life. One that I just found out about a few months ago. I still get a little teary eyed when I think about it.

I hope you enjoyed this. I hope you laughed a lot and awwwed a lot. I hope your heart grew a little warmer thinking about your first crush.


Be Blessed.


Im going to kiss my husband and thank him for choosing me. I cant imagine my life with anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment