Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Managing the Children

So as I mentioned before our first church service resulted in some bored children running a bit wild. My friend and I noticed this and even tried to intervene a few times to no avail. Parents were all busy helping set up and break down. I saw many of them trying to control the children, but they just waited until the disciplinarian was out of sight and then resumed "playing".
So Melodie and I put our heads together and God gave us a great plan.
The children age 8 and up will be put on a ministry team. They will be given age appropriate responsibilities and will be an intergral part of helping our church to grow and function efficiently.
Children 3-7 will be assigned a table in the cafeteria (where we meet) with coloring books, crayons, games....quiet sit down things. One or two of our older girls will sit with them during this time and "supervise".
Infant - 2 will be with mom or dad in a stroller or sling.
We will institute a reward system for the older children. For instance every month one child will be selected our "Star Servant" or something and will receive recognition and a small award. We are hoping this will provide some motivation for some of our harder to deal with kids.
We are hoping this will instill a sense of purpose in our children as they help to make our church function. I really think that this will go a long way in producing productive young adults. I think that in a few months we will see completly different young people showing up for church.
I know in my family when my kids are kept busy helping to run the house they dont have as much time or need for trouble. They take more time to pick up after themselves and make sure areas are kept neat and tidy throughout the day.
Our preacher has approved this idea. I just need to get it in writing to him.
Im excited that he wants to see our young people utilized for the kingdom as well.

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment