Thursday, May 24, 2007

Homeschool Stuff

Ok so I really dont know what my homeschool routine looks like. Its a little unique. I take one week off every month, school year round, and have most of November and December off. I school year round because I used to hate having to relearn everything after three months off. Plus it just keeps the momentum going around here. With the week off every month it does not get to overwhelming.
Here is some of what we did last year:
Kelsie age 6 1st grade

Saxon Math 1
Spelling Workout A
First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Child
A Reason For Handwriting A

Karly age 9 third grade

Saxon Math 3
Spelling Workout C
Finished up First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Child
A Reason for Handwriting Transition into cursive

This year we will be doing:
Tamara age 5 Kindergarten
Adrian age 4 some preschool/kindergarten

Finish up letter of the week
Get Ready for the Code (Explode the Code book)
Saxon Phonics K
Saxon Math K
A reading program, either 100 EZ Lessons, An Ordinary Parents Guide to To Teaching Your Child to Read or Veritas Press Phonics Museum. The third one seems a little out of place as it is more intensive but I am researching it.
The way I did reading with Kelsie was after she did a reading program we moved into Saxon Phonics K, this gave her a better foundation I think and when I had her evaluated in the middle of the year the lady was very impressed with her decoding skills.
Towards the middle of the year I will probably start A Reason For Handwriting A for these two.

Kelsie age 7 2nd grade
Saxon Math 2 (Will be moving in in June)
Spelling Workout B (Already started)
First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind (already moved into 2nd grade part)
A Reason For Handwriting Transition into cursive (June)
Poem Memorization and copy work

Karly Age 10 4th grade
Saxon Math 4/5 (this will be later in the year as we are just now reaching the halfway point for Saxon 3).
Spelling Workout D (just moved into this)
Rod and Staff English 3 (just moved into this)
A Reason For Handwriting Transition (still working through this)
Memorize and copy Proverbs

Karly/Kelsie:
Prima Latina (moving into June) I started this a few months ago and realized I cant teach it. I just did not get it. I ordered the teaching DVD and watched it and now I love it. We will be using the DVD to teach. Tamara and Adrian will watch the DVD, but they wont have the worksheets.
Piano lessons. We just got a piano so they will both be starting lessons in August.
Dance. Our preachers wife is into ballet and interpretive dance for worship. She will be teaching them this over the summer and maybe into the fall though we are not sure about that. If not I will probably look for a dance program to get them into for the fall.

ALL:
History: Story of the World The Ancients and Mystery of History: Creation to Resurrection. I might drop Myster of History until our next go round with this time period. Im also looking at Veritas Press History program. It has a history program and Bible program that goes in chronological order. Thats what I want. Still trying to decide. Until I do we will stick with SOTW and MOH.
Science: Christian Kids Explore Biology. This is a fun book. Im thinking we will just stick with it.
Bible: Our story book Bible at night, through the gospels in the morning, and Proverbs at naptime.
We also have family read aloud at least 3 times a week. Daddy reads a chapter from a book of his choosing, mommy reads a chapter from a book of her choosing (right now Ten Peas In A Pod, the Arthur Pent story), Karly reads an assigned book, Kelsie reads an assigned book, Tamara/Adrian tells us about a book each of them are looking at, its very interesting. The kids are allowed to draw and color quietly while someone else is reading. I will have the assigned reading lists for the coming year soon. Im still working on it now.

Anyways, thats what I have planned so far.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. I love reading homeschool plans! I adore the Mystery of History. I also love Arnold Pent's book; isn't it so incredible? I met him at a conference and he really inspired me to really soak up the Word. I pray that his book is a blessing to your family, as well. Your homeschool is so much fun and I love your variety of learning tools. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Christine. I love reading your blog. Its on my list of favorites and one day if I ever get around to cleaning up my sidebar it will be linked to from my blog. LOL. Dont look over there its very outdated.

    ReplyDelete