Tuesday, June 28, 2005

SURPRISE!

Yesterday we had a nice surprise. Prince Charming had taken the day off to spend time with us. We slept late and then loaded the children up for a trip to the zoo. It was raining a little on the way there but in Florida when it rains you never know if its an all day rain or just a short summer shower. We decided to wait in the parking lot and see what transpired. After 30 minutes we decided that today was not a zoo day. We then drove to a mall across town and let the children play in the indoor play area. Then we walked around some and then we took the children to Toys R Us and let them play. We walked out of there with not a single purchase! I was so proud of my children they did not whine or beg or plead for anything. After that we took them to Cici's pizza an all you can eat pizza buffet that is very cheap. We had a lot of fun although my daily schedule was shot. But I really think that we should sometimes let the schedule go especially when daddy takes time off from his job for family time! :)
Today I am running to catch up though. I have a play date that I scheduled weeks ago so I am trying to get the basics done around here so I can still go to my friends house and our children can play together. They have not seen each other in three weeks so I know they are anxious to share all thier little girl secrets! :)
Yesterday as we watched all the children playing I was disturbed at some of the behaviors I saw. There were many children that when told not to do something would turn around and do it again and mom would simply roll her eyes. There were two little boys running full speed around the play area and the mother told them to stop because they were going to run over the little ones roaming around. The boys kept running and soon the did knock over a toddler. Mom just stared at them and said, "See I told you." then went back to reading her magazine. My husband and I stared wide eyed and open mouthed at a lot of the stuff going on around us.
When we tell our children to do something we expect immediate compliance. There are no threats or bribes. Its do it or face the consequences. When my two older ones pushed each other trying to get to the slide they had to come and sit by me for a few minutes. I did not even give them a warning because they know this is something they are not to do. Self control and discipline are so important to our children as we raise them up. I want my children to have a special ongoing strong relationship with God as they grow older. How will they be able to do that if they dont learn to be obediant? I want them to be able to sit and worship the Lord during thier day, to live in His word, to overflow with His joy because they are so close to Him. My husband and I have read and prayed and we believe that we are to train our children to have this relationship with God and that means training them to be self disciplined, have self control, and be obedient. We deal with this alot at church as well. Our children all the way down to the 2 year old are expected to sit and listen and be still and quiet during Preaching. It does not kill them.. I promise. We practice at home by having family Bible reading every night where they are expected to sit still. People are always amazed at how well the children do. Its expected of them so they do it. If you expect something of your children and make it known that you expect it your children will amaze you EVERY TIME! Now I will admit. I have a "look". My children know it and they know that when mommy gives the look she has had enough and you better stop whatever you are doing. If I give the look and get immediate compliance a nice smile follows. Before you can expect your children to meet your expectations they have to know you love them. I have been accused of being too strict but my children are almost always smiling and outgoing and friendly. They love to be held and cuddled by me. I think if I saw distress on my children's faces or sadness I would worry. But I dont. They are happy well behaved children. Thier social workers comment on it, our family and friends comment on it, and strangers comment on it. My children are happy. I still reevaluate all the time my methods of training. And if my husband sees an area that needs work then I move it straight to the top. I love the No Greater Joy website and Raising Godly Tomatoes. Do I agree 100% with everything? No, but then no one agrees 100% with me either. But these two websites have given my husband and I a glimpse into real , working training techniques. They are extreme by the world's standards but I want my children to be different from the world. Like I said we are striving to raise godly children, with godly values and beliefs. Maybe I am too strict by the world's standards but I am confident that when God calls my children to stand they will be there front and center. I will take great joy in knowing one day that my children walk in truth! :)


Around the house:
Phew! Well I have all the books put in the bookshelves. I am actually boxing up a few that would not fit because we are getting two more bookcases in the next month. I did get box up one whole box that will be freecycled. Yeah me!
I have to go through the house tonight and box up some other stuff that someone is coming to pick up tomorrow. This is going to drastically reduce the amount of clutter around my house right now. Phase 1! I need to do this probably five more times and then my house will not look like a knick knack factory. :) I have to do it in stages though.
The kitchen was clean. I just finished making some soft breadsticks for dinner. They are sitting now. I have never made breadsticks before.... Im not sure these are right... they are awfully skinny. We shall see. I have to go clean up after myself but I rolled out forty breadsticks and I needed to sit down so I decided to come work on my blog some.. :)
My table is still not moved and the toys are still all over the house. I am hoping to finish my library/homeschool room tonight and can start early AM moving my table and the toys. Im also relocating our television. Right now it is in the closet of what will soon by my playroom and I LOVE having it in the closet but I need the closet for storage so I am moving it to the corner of the playroom. I will move our TV couch over as well and then store the toys behind the couch. Since the playroom is close to the homeschool room I will store extra homeschool stuff in the closet and thats also where our videos will be stored.
I have washed almost all the bed linens. I still have to do mine and hubby's.
I am working on my Home Management notebook and hope to post my schedules and all soon. Thanks Candy for the inspiration!
I am supposed to be getting another four drawer dresser for the girl's room before K moves in. I have a ton of clothes that I got off of freecycle for her and I really want to put them up but no matter how I arrange them they will not fit in with her sister's clothes. So when we get our foster care check for this month we are going to go buy another dresser. They are only $29.99 at KMart or maybe a little bit more but not much.
My neighbor brought over some cucumbers from her garden the other night so I wanted to make some cookies to take to her. I need to finish that project.
Well I am off to finish getting dinner on the table!

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing your binder. Other ladies have started putting theirs online, and it is such a blessing to get a glimpse into other Christian women's home lives. :-)

    ReplyDelete