Monday, June 13, 2005

My Children My Helpers

Happy Monday! I thought I would write a little about how my children help me out around the house. Growing up I did not take a lot of time to help around the house or learn how to take care of hearth and home. I remember a few weeks before I got married I rushed to my mom and asked her to teach me to sew on a button. I was almost 22 years old and had no clue how to sew on a button! The first few months of marriage we either ate out.. ALOT or had boxed/frozen dinners. One day I tried a recipe and found it extremely easy to follow and the dish actually turned out pretty good. I was hooked. I started collecting recipes from anywhere I could find them and trying them out. By the time we moved into our house a little over a year later I discovered menu planning! I was on a role. The house was pretty clean (mainly cause neither one of us was ever home) and everything seemed to be going well. Fast forward a few years. I quit my job and came home full time. I thought, "Wow now Im home I will learn so much". We did not have any foster children yet so I was one of the dreaded "wives at home". Guess what? The house went way down!! Fortunatly I enjoyed cooking so that lasted... for awhile. When the children came everything changed. The house went further into the abyss and cooking was not as much fun for me. I decided to do only the bare minimum and usually that meant throwing different ingredients into the pot and hoping it turned out well. I remember well one day looking around and saying, "this is not what I envisioned" and I know its not what Prince Charming had in mind when he agreed I could stay home. I have committed to teaching my children (especially my girls) home management skills whether they want them or not. I have been fortunate thus far that they are enthusiatic and want to learn. Here is what we have accomplished so far. My five year old can wash the dishes.My five year old, four year old, three year old, and to a lesser extent my two year old can load them in the dishwasher.All of the children can empty the dishwasher as well. These are performed with BARE minimum help from me. I put the things that go up high up after they bring them to me. When someone asks for help trying to figure out how to get the big pot in the dishwasher I help. When there are a lot of dishes I help by teaching them a good order to wash and load in. But while two of them are perfoming the task of washing and loading I can walk away and tend to something else staying within ear shot. All of the children can clean up thier toys and books. They can all pick up trash around the house.They can all put thier dirty clothes in the hamper. When the eight year old is here she can do all of the above AND run a mean vacuum. She is very good with the vacuum. They can all help with laundry.And with the exception of the 2 year old who is still in a crib they can all make thier own beds. I just keep adding responsibilities until I see they can do no more or they get distressed. Right now they enjoy everything they do and I want to continue to foster that attitude. I keep them at thier tasks for one month and then we rotate. This way you have had almost 30 days to learn something and I also encourage them to help each other out with thier various tasks. They dont get paid for these chores. They do however get a lot of praise and occasionally a non monatary reward... like a sticker or a piece of candy or something. Hubby and I are thinking of instituting a money management program soon and I will blog on that more later. We have only been doing this for the month of June. So far the kids are eating it up. When the eight year old stayed with us for a week at the beginning of June she loved having different responsibilities. One of hers was to do dishes. One day we had a ton of dishes so I decided to help her out and started them. Well she came bounding into the kitchen grabbed her stool and stared at me. I just had to laugh. I conceded and handed over the scrub brush. :)The Bible tells us to, Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. I believe that. I believe that by giving my children responsibility now I am teaching them self discipline and self control. Also in the Bible we see, Ecclesiastes 10:18 By much slothfulness the building decayeth; and through idleness of the hands the house droppeth through. I want to teach my children to build up thier houses not tear them down! Also there is an old saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop." If my children are busy then they have less time to get into trouble. :) Of course one thing I have to remember is it took my house awhile to become the danger zone it is today and it wont become House Beautiful overnight.. BUT... with diligent and consistent work from my helpers and I the house will become a comfortable home. :)

Around the House:
* We have done two loads of dishes after slacking over the weekend. (Not recommended!)
*I have done about 5 loads of mine and hubby's laundry. Trying desperatly to get our closet cleaned out.
*I worked on my schedule a bit making notes of things I need to tweak a bit.
*I am on my way to clean up the bathroom because Monday is bathroom day.
*I am reheating spaghetti we had for lunch yesterday for dinner tonight. I am also going to take the remaining homemade bread and put butter and garlic powder on it and broil for a couple of minutes to make garlic bread.
*I mailed off our mortgage check. Hubby asked me all last week to do it and I forgot so I mailed it today. Not late if it is postmarked by the 15th. I like our mortgage company. :)
*I need to sweep the kitchen and spot clean the floor. I usually do that while hubby gives the kids baths so that way I dont sit and cringe at supper when food is flying all over the place. :P
*I am working on an apron for my five year old. I have had the pattern and all but one piece cut out since March so I finally set up my machine and pulled it all out last night. I plan to work on it after the children are in bed and hubby is on his computer. We can still be close together when I do it that way.
*I have to straighten up the living room (with the kids of course).
Thats all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment