Monday, May 17, 2010

Real Food For Mother and Baby

Click on the book for an amazon link.

I just finished this book. It was a fun read. Lots of the stuff I already knew because she follows Weston Price pretty closely, but it was nice to see it broken down for mom and baby. I love the foods she fed her baby/toddler. I loved reading about what he liked and gravitated to for taste. It was really eye opening. I'd already decided that Lily would not be getting the old cereal and rice routine at 6m. Whole grains will be coming later for her. We also already knew she would get Mother's Milk for the whole first year of her life. Our goal is at least 18-24m, but we'll see how it goes.
I was happy to see that I was already doing most of the stuff she recommends (or had at least restarted to do). I have tried to eat fish, but other than tuna in a can I can't stomach it so I am taking CLO daily. I have researched it a lot and I feel comfortable taking a small dose of CLO even though I live in FL.
I liked that it was not full of recipes and purees. I used to give Jonathan more whole food as a toddler then most people thought was appropriate, but I was always right there and he did a great job chewing. Don't worry I was paranoid enough with some food that I cut it up for him, but some things he just enjoyed gnawing on. LOL
Anyway, I just wanted to recommend this book as a book that was fun to read and informative.
I bought the book from Amazon with my own money. It was well spent!

4 comments:

  1. I usually make all my own baby foods. I don't do rice at all. I use oat meal or oat bran and blend it up into a fine powder to cook for the baby. I do fresh fuits and veggies in small amounts with that until the baby is a little older. I do gradually increase the consistency so the baby has to chew.
    I nused both my other children over one year. I nursed my 2nd until 22 months then weaned. It's so easy by the thime they are 1 yr old I figured why stop??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Sticking my nose in. Do NOT eat tuna when you are pregnant. Absolutely do not. It has so much mercury. Just google "tuna and pregnancy." Not eating tuna is so universally promoted - not just by food activists, by everyone - that I am surprised she recommended it.

    Another great book about food is called What to Eat by Marian Nestle. And her chapter on fish scared me so bad I won't feed it to my babies at all, and I only eat it in restaurants as a special treat.

    A special, mercury laden, acid rain poisoned treat I give to myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, it's ok. :) I appreciate the heads up.
    I have only had tuna like twice this whole pregnancy. All of my research leads me to think it's ok in very moderate amounts. :)
    Trish, I made a lot of Jonathan's food when he was a baby, but I went with the yucky rice cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you can eat tuna during pregnancy. I wouldn't eat more than a can a week though.

    Don't get paranoid by what you read on the net. I don't even believe 3/4's of the stuff I read on the net.

    ReplyDelete