Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A New Journey

So yesterday I stepped into a new phase in life. The mom of a 13yo daughter. Yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing. LOL Then I thought I had no idea what was doing five years ago when she came to live with me. We have survived thus far.
She's a special girl. A hard start to life for her, but she has come so far. Don't ever tell her she is a victim she would scoff at you. She looks forward to running her own home and having a family one day. She has gotten a little short changed this year because her BIG birthday fell right in the middle of a time of overwhelmingness for me. When we talked about her tea party that she was supposed to have she readily agreed to wait until August when I would be better able to plan it. She is getting so mature. She is going tomorrow or Thursday to get her birthday present. She's getting a netbook.


A few years from now she will be of an age to wander to her own little nest. Instead of treating these next few years as wild party do what you want years we will be focusing on training her to be a godly woman. We decided when we first became parents that we would not have "teenagers" in our home. We would have young adults. Believe it or not she loves that phrase. She loves being considered a young adult and not a teenager. To the point that I had to correct her from correcting adults when they called her a teenager. I did it with a smile, of course. LOL
Be Blessed!

4 comments:

  1. I like that phrase "young adult" :) She is such beautiful young woman! Happy Birthday to her as well!!

    Blessings,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your time is limited, but I'd like to hear more about developing that mindset of "young adult" instead of "teenager" I'd like to raise up my daughters much the same way but the pull of what looks fun can be very strong even in church settings...I truly wish I had more examples to look to for guidance in this...My oldest daughter is turning 6 Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, thank you!
    Trish, we are just starting out, but I will post some ideas that we have. Have you read the book Do Hard Things? Excellent resource!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,

    We also have raised our daughter to not view herself as a "teenager." So nice to find other kindred spirits in this area...and by the way...she is also 13! It is amazing when we treat them like young adults and train them as such...and then see them beginning to take on this Godly mindset. Your daughter is lovely...and I am so glad your pregnancy is progressing so well. Blessings to you,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete