Tuesday, January 26, 2010

WWYD?

Recently, on a message board, the question was asked, "What would you do if homeschooling became illegal?" Many thought the question was completely hypothetical. Me? I'm not so sure. As I see our liberties sleeping away and see the American people turning to the government more and more, I see the government taking more and more. What better place to raise up a generation loyal to the ideals of our new government?
Why, oh why, would the government allow us to teach our children something contradictory to what they are trying to implement? That's one big argument I have heard from some hard liberals towards homeschooling. "Why leave this children to be raised in a hateful, bigoted environment with no regulation on what they are being taught?"
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I believe in living life on guard and planning for any possibility.

What did this question lead to? It led to someone else asking, why do you homeschool?
For us it's not even a choice. God has called us to this. Some days (especially lately) I have felt like the biggest failure being my kids teacher. This past year was full of rough starts and stops to our homeschool. I see the next few months being the same. But I have to trust God to make up for my slack. I know my kids are safe and are hearing truth and not lies. They have good Christian books and videos available to them. They see us struggling, but leaning on God. What more education could I want for them?
Yes, of course I want the basics and even more, but if they come out of our homeschool with a good foundation for trusting and serving God, then we have accomplished a ton!
An interesting point was made by one of the mom's on the message board about illegal homeschooling.
It was not that long ago that people risked fines and jail time to school their children at home.
I know a friend of mine from our homeschool group with a son in college, talks about how she NEVER left home with the kids during the day because it cause too many problems?
Can you imagine?? That was in the 90s! Are we so naive to think it could never happen again? Are we willing to throw away their sacrifice?
What would I do if homeschool was illegal? I don't think I'm going to talk about it here. Too risky. But I do have a plan. Do you?
Be Blessed!

5 comments:

  1. I believe first that homeschooling will be more restrictive in the future. I believe that anyone homeschooling will be required to hold at least a bachelor's degree. For this reason, our daughter is currently pursuing a bachelor's degree - not for a career, but so that she will be able to homeschool her future children. I also believe that at some point in the future that homeschooling will become illegal and that restrictions placed on private religious schools will become so tight that most will fold. I also believe that when Christians are persecuted that the Gospel spreads. What would I do if I had young children and homeschooling or a good Christian school was not available? That's a really tough call for anyone to make who is not currently in that situation. If possible, I would like to do like the Puritans did and pack up and leave so that we would be free to obey God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for me - I'm a licensed teacher, so I think I would just have my own "licensed private school" and my children would be my 'students'. Still a scary thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pst...back on Blogger!
    hisholypresence.blogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose I would send my kids to a christian private school. I don't have a plan outside of that. I didn't go to college I went into nursing and went to a tech school. some states, like NY are strict. My plan for that is to teach what I have to in order to cover the regulations and add things we are interested in and enjoy. We began reading in proverbs but I wimped out when it came to reading to my little girls about the adultress and such...think we'll read some other bible stories for a while. I have really slacked this year because I am not "official" with the state yet since Jorri is just 5 I don't have to register. We've been out of school for a month!I can't do that next year. I was planning to buy a set curriculum since I will have a new baby also and wont be able to figure out my own as I go. The state wants letters of intent for every 10 week period. I was planning on ACE frist grade and readers from Sonlight for 1st grade....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far Ohio's homeschool laws are pretty minimal. They are the same as they were when I started officially homeschooling in the 1990's. (Which I didn't have a problem going out in public because my daughter is extremely small for her age, people thought she was much younger than she was!)

    My girls are 22, 16, and 8. At this point, we only homeschool "the baby." I believe that even if homeschooling became illegal that our district would allow me to continue her education at home with an IEP or something. She has severe allergies, learning differences, and other quirks. In fact, when I was thinking of enrolling her in public kindergarten, school officials said she could come to school a minimum of 3 hours a week (for therapy) and I could come with her as her aide. Umm, no thanks! I have enough unpaid jobs, we'll just stay home.

    ReplyDelete