Monday, January 4, 2010

Our Birthday Decision


I hope you all had a wonderful New Year! Ours was nice and quiet. Nothing much to talk about.
This young lady has a birthday coming up soon. She will be 13 and we wanted to get her a special present. We were going back and forth on what we could get her. We finally decided on a laptop/notebook computer.
As she gets older I would like for her to start to explore blogs of other girls out there who share some of our beliefs. I also want her to have the opportunity to use the computer to do some of her schoolwork. There are also some fun game sites I will let her pursue.
There will be many rules around the laptop though.
It will stay in my room and she will earn the privilege of using it by completing her responsibilities. She will only be allowed to use it for so many hours a day/week. She will have to be in the same room one of her parents is in and sitting right next to us. All new websites, blogs whatever will have to be approved through us first.
Yeah, I'm a little paranoid. But I like to say better safe than sorry. This child is known for coming to us with questionable stuff so I feel pretty good that if she comes across something by accident she will alert us to it. But we will be right there anyway.
I feel good about this gift. I know she will love it!
A weird post for the New Year I know, but I felt bad for not having posted at all. I do have a lot of stuff to share, but I just have to find the time.

Be Blessed!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! And Happy Birthday to your daughter! I think the notebook/laptop is a GREAT idea, and I think your plan for its use is very wise. I am sure your daughter will really enjoy this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,

    I think the laptop is a great idea. I don't think you're being paranoid, but being very wise. Your daughter sounds like she will do well with your guidelines. Our 17 year old daughter (who has always been homeschooled) has always come to us with things she is unsure of. I always tried to pre-read her books, listen to music or look at any websites before her, but when there has been something I've missed or didn't get to first, she has always come to me and let me know about it. It makes me trust her even more and know that she will be able to make wise choices in her future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to be paranoid!!! I can't believe how big and pretty she is getting!!

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete