Friday, January 29, 2010

Women of the faith

The other night we had a very interesting conversation around our dinner table. In our study of heroes of the faith we have studied Martin Luther and George Mueller. Karly mentioned that she did not know any women heroes. I almost fell out of my chair. There are so many.
We talked about Corrie Ten Boom. What a wonderful testimony of God's provision. I think my favorite story from The Hiding Place was when they needed medicine and the bottle just stayed full until new medicine was found. Also, Corrie's devotion and faith in God is admirable in all of her circumstances. What an awesome hero of the faith!
And of course, who do I love more than Susannah Wesley?? Mrs. Wesley was the mother of 19 children. Ten of whom made it to maturity. It is said that she would go into her kitchen, throw her apron over her head and spend time praying amidst the goings on in her home. She has generations of faithful offspring following after her godly example.


And my personal hero, Elisabeth Elliot! Oh my! What a beautiful example she is to us all. Her husband was a missionary who was killed. Later she went to this tribe and ministered to them, living with them for two years. She has written many books that speak of lives of purity and graciousness.
I know there are many more! Who are some of your favorites?
Be Blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Gladys Alyward. I had never heard of her before going to the curriculum fair one year, and they were giving a book about her away for free. We couldn't put that thing down. When man had no confidence in her and no one would help her, she did it with God's help against all kinds of odds. I also love Elizabeth Elliot. We read about Nate Saint and then watched the movie about their lives.

    ReplyDelete