Thursday, February 3, 2005

Submission....again?

This was supposed to be my Feb 2 blog but I forgot to post... so here it is now! :)


So... last night was my sewing class. We are on week 3 (wow seems like a lot longer!) and we finished up these little stuffed ????? (someone mistakenly called them bears but I dont see it) and started our pillows. Well we started measuring and cutting the fabric for our pillows. I am taking a sewing class with my mom for many reasons. The top one being although I went to a great college preparatory highschool they forgot to teach us how to sew so that our daughters would not look like 4 year old tramps. If you know not what I speak of you obviously have not tried to find your very tall 4 year old clothes. I was embarassed at the selection and dont get me started on the WalMart Mary Kate and Ashley line UNBELIEVABLE! So I am on a journey to learn to sew. I have had my sewing machine for over a year now and I believe that instead of being in the way it should be useful. Im happy to report that after three classes I can SEW A STRAIGHT LINE! WooHoo! I can not however measure and cut fabric..... tonight I was trying to measure and cut a 17" x 17" square and no matter what I did I kept cutting it 17" x 16" or 16" x 16". *Sigh* The instructer ended up measuring my poor little squares before I could run out of fabric. So much for that college prep school!
**********************************************************************************
I am reading a book right now called Excellent Wife by Martha Peace. I have been really enjoying it but last night I ran across a chapter that disturbs me a little. It is a chapter on submission. I know I know I just gave my soap box speech on submission yesterday BUT I was not expecting this chapter so now I must address it once again. Mrs. Peace says that women are to be submissive in everything as outlined in Eph. 5 BUT she also adds the dreaded clause.... unless he asks you to sin. Im a little torn here but two of the examples that she used I know I dont agree with. One is if your husband tells you not to go to church... well the Bible says, "forsake not the assembling of yourselves with others." (Heb 10:25) Yes dear lady but it also tells us to submit to our husbands in everything and in 1 Peter 3 it tells us if our husband is an unbeliever you should keep silent....... let me touch on the other "sin" I dont agree with. If the husband forbids you to tell your children about God.... she says (and the Bible says) "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. Here, my son, your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching... " (Proverbs 1:7-8) I say again submit in everything and be silent. Now, I just had this argument with my mom so Im ready! Do I think that you should just say, "Well ok I guess thats that. Might as well start living like the world because hubby wants me to have nothing to do with church?" Nooooooooo I do believe however that this may be something you have to concede to if only for a short while. Why do I say a short while? Well my dear sister I believe when your husband tells you not to go to church that you should RESPECTFULLY tell him how much you enjoy church and that you feel it is your duty as a Christian to attend if he still says no then nod your head put on a smile and then HIT YOUR KNEES! Pour your heart out to Father. He will listen and comfort you. I honestly believe that you will be back in church in no time. And because of your obedience to God's word concerning your husband that sweet man you married MAY be sitting right beside you.
Now I must say I dont know what its like to have an unbelieving husband. (Only by the grace of God because I sure dated a number of unbelievers) I have read the scriptures though and think it says clearly that we obey no matter what. I was talking to my husband about this last night though. What if (VERY REMOTE CHANCE OF THIS!) your husband wants you to kill someone? I have really thought about this... (my husband would not ask me to kill anyone so dont worry! :) ) but come on what would I do???? I think that I would begin praying and fasting because my God can do ANYTHING and HE will make it so I dont have to murder anyone. That much I know.
Lastly if you are in an abusive relationship I dont think you should stay there and be abused. But I do think you should seek help for your husband (and yourself).
*Sigh* I pray I have said everything right. It is such a touchy subject but one that God has so clearly laid on my heart. I learn new things every day about Biblical submission to my husband. I just cant wait to share them with everyone!
By the way I really do like the book by Martha Peace just not this chapter. I just cant wrap my mind around..... "obedient in everything BUT....." its just not in the Bible.

1 comment:

  1. Here is yet another disturbing post I have found. Is this women disturbed in some way or is it just me? She says that there is NO reason to not submit to your husband that is found in the Bible. Really? "Wives, submit to your husbands, As is fitting to the Lord". So, as far as authority goes...first my Lord and then my husband. I cannot believe this woman is suggesting that a woman should sin against her God in order to fulfill the wishes of her husband. This is ridiculous! If my husband should tomorrow reject his belief in God, then I should raise my children in ignorance of the Lord? Remember Ananias and Sapphira? Sapphira followed her husband into sin, and God struck her just as dead as her husband! Submitting to your husband does not mean you are to sin against God. She even goes so far as to wonder what her duty would be if her husband were to require her to kill someone. She should wonder about this!?

    ReplyDelete