Monday, February 7, 2005

Sick Day

Why is it when mom is sick the whole house falls apart? When dad is sick some things dont get done. When the kids are sick its a little more noticable. BUT when mom is sick the house is a wreck, the children have decided that on this day they will make sure to break all the rules, and dinner ends up being cold left over pizza. I dont care what anyone says I know for a fact, "When mamma aint happy aint nobody happy!"
I spent today being sick. This means I have been at war all day with my children, the dishes have piled up in the sink, a load of clothes sits in the living room waiting to be folded and hubby came home to find me groaning over the kitchen counter about dinner. Prince Charming that he is he ushered me into the bedroom, heated up some left overs for the children and himself (being sick is my miracle weight loss pill Im just not hungry), and generally took over mommy duties. He is so special.
But back to mom's attitude. I yell at my children a lot but the Bible tells me I am to have a "meek and quiet spirit" (1 Peter 3:4) I am working hard on having a peaceful home. Which means no yelling. On days when I dont yell the house is nicer, more peaceful but on days like today when I yelled ALL the TIME it was a very disorganized home with bad attitudes all around. My children acted up more today... is it because I was sick or because I was in a bad mood? Im willing to bet it was the latter. Maybe the things they did today were not as bad as I thought. Generally they are great children. But something I forget sometimes is they still need lots of training. (Proverbs 22:15a) I have to have a good attitude when I am training them if I dont it will become war much like what happened today. For instance my 4 year old and 3 year old share a room. When I went in to get them up from thier nap the room was a disaster and there was stuff pulled off shelves that I have asked them not to take down. I started yelling and telling them they had 5 minutes to pick up thier room and that there was no excuse for their room to EVER look that way! What did I get from this? Well the girls did pick up all the stuff but all I got was a sore throat, two sad dejected little girls, and a heavy heart. How could I have handled this differently? I could have explained to them that they did wrong by pulling everything down and making their room messy. I could have helped clean up and talked to them about why a nice, clean room is more peaceful and relaxing. I did not have to yell.
I did not have a peaceful, relaxing home today and I really could have used it because you need all the peace you can get when you are sick.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog!!!!!!!

    Let me know if you want to swap links, ok?

    Love,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete