Friday, February 11, 2005

Contentment

So a new Joanne's Fabric store opened on the other side of town today so of course I loaded the children up and headed right over. And of course we walked up and down every isle. Now I did have a purpose in being there... I cant tell you what it is until Monday when I give Prince Charming his Valentines day present. But just being there was such a rush for me. All the crafty stuff and my own little girls getting so excited over all the neat stuff. Im really looking forward to learning home arts and teaching them to my girls. I went to my moms house the other day so we could practice our sewing together and I had the little girls sit and watch us because I think they will learn a lot just by being close by.
********************************************************************************
Today as I was driving along (to Joanne's) I heard a song on the radio. I don't know the name of the song or who sings it but one line really caught my attention. "Everybody wants someone else's everything." I don't know what made me grab that line but suddenly a million thoughts rushed through my mind. The main theme of those thoughts? Contentment. This is such an area in my life that I struggle with. I wanted a house. I wanted a new house. Now I wonder what it would be like to live in an older home, a "fixer-upper".
Sometimes I like living in Florida, sometimes I wish I could live somewhere that has seasons. You see???? Prince Charming (whose really old) thinks maybe its just because Im so young. I have not "experienced" enough of life. Anyways, Im straying from my original idea here. I have struggled with contentment. And today listening to that song made me really think about all I have that I don't deserve. Starting with, my salvation. I don't deserve to be saved from hell. I don't deserve to have an abundant life but oh, God has allowed me to have both of those things. I also had to be thankful that I have a working car and three children, although, I really really want a van and four (five) children.
This is not the first time I have had a "tug" from God on the contentment subject. I remember not long after I got married reading this verse in the Bible Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. OOOPPPPPS! How have I been a Christian for 20 years and missed this verse? I believe my heart was not ready to hear it yet. But you see. Paul said that we must learn (or at least that he learned) to be content no matter what.
That is my goal as I go about the everyday chores involved with being a wife and mother. As I gaze longingly at that minivan in traffic beside me. As I send off a check for our mortgage and long for a smaller house with a smaller mortgage. What will I do to practice contentment? Thank God that I have the opportunity to serve Him and my family while I am washing the dishes or folding clothes or wiping runny noses. Thank God that I have a car to jet off to the new fabric store in. Thank God that I have a house and that it is large enough to be a home to three children, three cats, and hubby and me with room for at least two more children (maybe more!).
I have noticed that I do seem more content as of late. I seem to be happier with the circumstances in my life. But I must always be on guard because the enemy is like a roaring lion seeking to devour me. (1 Peter 5:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment