Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A Different Look

Disclaimer: Please excuse the misspelled words. I cant get the spell checker to work right and I am tired of trying.... :O)
Last night was sewing class and....... drum roll please..... I finished my pillow. Prince Charming is going to help me post a picture later. Now we are working on a pair of pants. Hopefully it wont take as long as the pillow because there is only one more class. We cut out the pattern and material last night. My mom and I decided to make a pair of matching pants for my little girls. They are cute little flannel bottoms with a white background and blue flowers. Very girly pajama pants.
We have a great prospect on a van. My brother works as a mechanic for a taxi cab company here in town and says he can get us a fairly decent van for about $500. He even said they would paint it so I would not have to drive around town with an orange and white van! :O) He says its an older van and has many miles on it. Thats ok because in two years we will have enough money for my 15 passenger van!
********************************************************************************
I got news today that two more friends are expecting. Im so happy for these people. One friend this is her first baby and the other this is her second. So now I have two ladies at church expecting, two online friends expecting, and two other friends expecting. Thats 6 people. I am happy but it is so bittersweet. I wish with everything that I could announce that I am expecting. Im so fearful that I will never get that opportunity. We started going to a fertility doctor in November. It is a long road but we pray daily for the Lord's blessing.
**********************************************************************************
The other night we were over at my mothers house and her neighbor stopped by. I was in my rare pair of jeans and she commented that she did not think she'd ever seen me in pants before. I jokingly said it was because we were half Amish. The truth is I love wearing dresses and skirts. People treat you different. For the most part it causes men to show respect and women to smile more. I think it reminds me to act more lady like. My daughters (3 and 4) also enjoy dresses. When I go into thier room in the mornings I sometimes give them the choice of dress or pants. I have yet to hear pants. It makes me wonder if most little girls relish femininty until the world snatches it away from them. A few of my friends little girls have been insisting on dresses lately also.
I am trying very hard to be in the world but not of it. I believe as a Christian I need to be different in everything. I started dressing in skirts and dresses after discovering a verse in Dueteronomy.
Dueteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
I had a discussion with a very close friend one time that argued that men and women in Bible times all wore robes. I read somewhere and cant remember where that men actually wore britches under thier robes hence the reference to, "girding up your loins" seen a few times. Apparently this meant they took the hem of thier robe up and tied it up so they could do a task. I dont know how accurate that is because Im just going from memory of what the article said AND I cant seem to find the article on my computer.
But my side of the argument is, did God not know what our clothing would be like today? Because this passage was written in Bible times it does not pertain to us? Well there go the 10 commandments.
I dont "preach" dresses and skirts only. Occasionally as seen above I wear pants. Its not a salvation issue so if a woman wears pants I dont care. I someone asks me why I wear dresses I usually tell them that I believe God has called me to dress more femininly and the my husband likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment