Monday, October 5, 2009

Practicing Hospitality



Recently we were able to open our home again after a long season of closed doors. It was hard for me and I dreamed, dreamed, dreamed of the day that I could invite others over or even into my home. We still have a little ways to go in having a more comfortable welcoming atmosphere, but it's nothing that we can't live with.





As I mentioned yesterday I am making some meals to freeze not only for my family but for others who might need a little help during the month. Roy and I were talking yesterday about how not worried we are about spending the money to make all these meals.





Roy is out of work right now and maybe to an outsider it is not wise to offer to feed others with our food. But quiet frankly I have always enjoyed feeding others. I don't think I have ever felt like it was a burden.





I had one friend last year that was so upset with me because I would offer to feed everyone at our Life Group meetings. She thought it was unfair for me to have to cook for every one, but I really enjoyed it. I always make a lot of food anyway, just because I have a small army to feed.







I believe some of it is because of how I grew up. I have a very dear friend who spent many hours feeding groups of people at her house. She still does actually. Her house was always full of fun and laughter and food. The front door was always opened. I remember thinking that it was I wanted so very much. The cost of making extra really does not mean anything to me. I believe that God will always provide for us.

I like to think of the widow woman in 1 Kings 17. The one who provided a meal for Elijah with the last of her food. God restored the food to her and made it so her oil and meal lasted until the end of the drought. I have no doubt that as I preform the duty of hospitality towards others that God will expand my freezer and pantry with more than enough food until the drought of unemployment has passed.





Hospitality is not only about opening wide your doors for others. It's about providing for the hungry. In Isaiah the other day I read the most remarkable passage.
Isa 58:7

Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? [is it] to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes [under him]? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?



Isa 58:6



[Is] not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?



Isa 58:7



[Is it] not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?



Isa 58:8



Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy reward.



Isa 58:9



Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I [am]. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;



Isa 58:10



And [if] thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness [be] as the noonday:



Isa 58:11



And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.



Isa 58:12



And [they that shall be] of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.





These verses spoke to me on a deep level about what I need to be practicing in my hospitality. I will share some more this week on hospitality and the reason these verses caught my attention so much. Until then I pray that you too will realize what a blessing hospitality is not only to others but to yourself.
Be Blessed!


1 comment:

  1. I just came upon your blog and am thrilled that I was brought here. What a blessing! Thank you for sharing with the world. I would love to hear more about your foster/adoption experiences as I am considering more and more going this route as I am barren, not getting any younger, and love children. How does homeschooling work into the foster/adoptive process?? Thank you for the encouragment that is your blog, I will be following and reading more! God Bless you and yours, and may your hubby find a job that pays well and that he loves ... my hubby is out of work (since March) as well and I understand your frustrations! God is always there and always providing ...

    ReplyDelete