Saturday, October 24, 2009

Caring for the homeless and downtrodden

Our family has a vision of one day owning enough land to build some small cottages. These cottages would first be used for our parents if they wished. They would have their own homes and be independent while having us close by to care for them. If they choose not to join us on the homestead we would reserve the cottages for ministry. For families who needed a place to stay for awhile. For missionaries home on furlough. For other ministers away from home doing God's work. For single mothers and widows. For anyone who lost everything they had because of an accident or job loss. As the responsible parents of children there would be rules and much discernment over who stayed on our property, but there are enough people out there who just need a hand up that I know we could be a blessing to many.
We plan to have a functional farm to help feed these boarders and others. We would require most people staying with us to help out around the farm. I would love to have a huge farm table that everyone was welcomed around. Or if they wanted to eat in their cottage that would be fine as well.
Dh has lots of plans for recreation areas on our property and we both have major visions of hospitality.
This is what we are striving for as we watch our finances and save where we can.
But what can we do right now?

My heart has been pondering this for awhile now. When Jesus saw someone hurting or helpless did he just pass by? I want to help people out. I want to do it with more than just a check to some random organization. I have been looking for ways to help. Here are some ideas.
I am going to purchase boxes of the prepackaged tuna and cracker lunches and canned chicken salad with crackers lunches and keep them in my car along with peanut butter crackers and bottles of water during these winter months. When I see someone asking for money I will share with them. Because of where I grew up I can't in good conscience give money. I know some will disagree with this, but the things I saw these mentally ill people do with the money given to them broke my heart. In my eyes they need a meal more than crack or alcohol.
I have a dear friend from the Philippines. In January she is heading there to help with flood damage. She is using her own money to send food, clothing, blankets... I am going to contribute to those boxes. I am also hoping to slip her some money before January to help with her expenses. She is the cleaning lady at a fast food restaurant.
I am going to the thrift store to load up on heavy blankets to donate to the homeless shelter this winter. I also plan to pick up heavy socks brand new to donate as well.
Roy and I are hoping to take the kids on a mission trip next year. Maybe not to another country just yet, but some place here in the US that needs some sort of disaster relief. I had thought of contacting the Red Cross and asking about opportunities for families with children to volunteer.
I have been busy stocking my pantry and freezer hoping to share with single mothers, widows, and others who might need a meal or two due to finances or illness or death.
I started last year purchasing gift cards to send to families right before Thanksgiving so that they could have a good meal or even some Christmas presents.
If you knew me at all you would know that my compassion and mercy are seriously lacking. I think that is one of the lessons God has been teaching me this year though. The theme of my happiness and comfort does not matter is really starting to manifest itself not just in faith but in works.
While I do take precautions, I mean Jesus was a single man and I am a mother of young children, I know that God will protect me as needed.
Yes, my husband is still jobless, but I think that God expects us to keep on giving. He is our provider. :)
I did not type any of this to pat my own back. Its a huge burden on my heart lately and something I think that we as Christ followers are seriously failing to work at. I hope these ideas will move you towards reaching out to the less fortunate.
Be Blessed!

2 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOODNESS.

    You'll never believe this, but hubby and I have that same dream. Of having land with *cabins* - being able to invite people of ministry to take a retreat, vacation, the needy a place to stay, elderly parent to inhabit...

    I couldn't believe I was reading the first paragraph on YOUR blog, when it's been OUR dream. Remember the Ohio farm we thought we were going to get? Yep, that was our *plan*. Someday, Lord willing, we'll have that land!

    You're right - destined to be friends - maybe even neighbors (LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God is at work in me on the same issue.

    One idea I got is to buy several of those single use hand warmer gel packs and hand those out to any homeless people/panhandlers I come across. Of course, I have to remember to put them in my car first!

    ReplyDelete