Thursday, May 7, 2009

Praying Together

I sure wish I could get to this blog more than once a week. Maybe things will slow down a bit in a few days and I can. My floors are almost done so that will be a huge thing off of my plate. Of course in a few short weeks we start painting. LOL
We have been reading the book Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends aloud lately. It's really a great book and I recommend it to all. My younger kids don't get it a whole lot but they seem to enjoy listening to the stories.
Last night we talked about building relationships now that will last into adulthood. Something I pulled out was prayer. The Bible tells us in Matthew 18:18-20, "Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
I encouraged my children to look around at one another. If they have a strong relationship with one another as they grow older then they automatically have four other people to agree with them in prayer. How awesome is that?!
I even told them it does not have to wait until they are grown up. They can take their prayer requests to one another now.

My kids have a pretty good relationship. Not too much arguing and fighting. As I look on other families where siblings barely speak to each other I realize how blessed I truly am. I think a lot of it has to do with homeschooling. They can't go their separate ways every day. They have to rely on each other to entertain themselves. It's sweet to see my kids reading to each other or building tall lego buildings together. To see them gravitate to one another in a crowd of children.
I would love to continue to nurture that against all the naysayers who claim our kids will despise each other in the coming years.
One weapon I will use is our prayer times together. If your praying for someone it's a lot harder to despise them, I think. If your praying with someone it draws you closer to that person's heart.
Yes, I will fight for my kids relationships with one another. I will guard them jealously. Friends come and go, but you will always be connected in some way to your siblings. I want to do what I can to make sure my kids enjoy that connection.

Be Blessed!

3 comments:

  1. We are getting ready to read that book as soon as we finish "Before You Meet Prince Charming"; another must read (with your girls).

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely blog! Your children are darling. You are very blessed.
    I have also noticed that homeschooled children have stronger relationships. I have five children (ages 11 to 21) and they are all very close. They were
    always homeschooled. I think that makes all the difference - that and a loving home.
    Blessings
    Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. B, I have that book on my want list. LOL When we finish this book I think we are moving on to Ten Peas in A Pod (since I already have that one).

    Mrs. White, thank you for the kind words. I am so blessed. Thanks for the words of encouragement regarding your children. I love to hear the success stories. It seems so often people just want to tell me the uslessness of it all.

    ReplyDelete