Wednesday, May 13, 2009

For this season...

I had an interesting conversation with a friend on Facebook today. I was speaking of being blessed by being able to be home to take care of my family. She asked me how I balanced it all. I had to laugh as we had this conversation.
(Part of my pantry)

The first thing I told her was that I strongly follow the "Fake it til you make it" principle. Yep. I pretend that being home with my family and cleaning my home and taking care of my family is my most joyous past time. I might force a smile or a tune. I might laugh a little to loudly, but it's all in the attitude. If I grumble and complain nothing will get accomplished and no one will feel like a blessing that day. LOL

(My Fireplace)
The next thing I told her is that I have to recognize what I am doing is only for a season. One day my kids will be grown and gone and I will have all the "me" time I can stand and then some. Right now I have to invest as much of myself into my family and home as possible. It's such a short time. "Wait a minute! Hold on! I have to have some time to myself. That's not asking to much!" you might want to argue. I agree. That's the next thing I shared with her.

(The queen of laundry, Miss Kelsie)
I catch my moments here and there. Maybe it's only 5 or 10 minutes when I look around and realize I can stop for a moment. I like to check my facebook or blog or read other blogs. That down time can give me the oomph to get right back in there. This morning my kids were reading together, laundry was going, and the sink was empty. I could have started school, but I though, let me take just 5 minutes to check email/facebook. And I did. No big deal. I was done within the five minutes and we started school. Easy as pie. And I have pretty much been going the rest of the day. My kids are resting right now and dinner is cooking so I thought I'd blog for a few minutes.


(Cheesy himself, Master Jonathan)
My family is a huge priority for me right now. As a matter of fact I believe it's God's biggest priority for me right now. My husband is unemployed and looking at a new career that would change our whole lives. He is working diligently to get our house ready for market if it comes to that. He needs me to be supportive and to handle all the other day to day stuff. He needs me to manage this home efficiently. My children are all going through spells of disobedience. School work is the last thought on any of their little hearts. They need me to be consistent and have a good attitude. They need me to be able to change things up a bit every now and then and keep it fun.
Truly, for the most part I love being home. I love ministering to these blessings God has given me. There are days of course when I think, "Surely a full time job would be so much easier than this!" LOL But those are the days that I go to Jesus and tell Him that I can do all things through Him. Not by my strength but by His. Then I slap that fake smile on. I start to sing a little too loudly and forcefully and I head back out to the field. Because this is one battle I am determined to fight and see the Lord's victory over.
Be Blessed!


9 comments:

  1. The kids pictures are just wonderful and I might add the attitude is a winner! Hope all your days are very happy ones and your legacy will be one that you will be thankful that you took this very important time for your children when you reap the rewards. connie from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful (and dare I say, TIMELY) post! Thank you so much for sharing~
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree my friend! May His blessing abound in your life and Godspeed to your hubs new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a wise Mama and your children will bless you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post--I especially the "fake it til you make it" principle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You precious lady :) Yes, I'm fine. Just faking it till I have convinced myself :) I have seven weeks of teaching pracs dispersed over the next three months - Joshua has to stay with a friend from Monday afternoon till Friday afternoon - its so hard and I miss him so much but I have to finish this stupid course. For the last 10 or so years the Australian government has been throwing the idea around that homeschooling parents need to be qualified teachers. I would hate to start homeschooling him and then have to send him to school, especially when he is 10 or 12... it would be just terrible. So that is why I'm doing it :)

    I agree with Lori, this post was very timely for me too. Praise God that He can use a Godly woman like you on the other side of the world to direct and encourage me - isn't that cool? :) I love the internet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks my wonderful friends. Can I say it was a great reminder to me as well. I love it when God uses "my words" to teach me something. Makes me remember they are not my words anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. It's so true and I find that I have to remind myself of these things often. :) Your kiddo's are adorable. You are indeed a blessed lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The zoo pics are great!

    You are blessed to stay home and minister to your family. Or maybe better said, your family is blessed to have you home to minister to them.

    Attitude is crucial. How many times a day I hear myself telling my kids that it's a heart or attitude issue. LOL!

    ReplyDelete