Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Homeschooling: Why do I do it? Part 3

Deuteronomy is clear that we are to teach our children. Voddie Baucham (my hero) explained these passages perfectly. He basically pointed out that these children were going to be raised in an ungodly foreign land. God was admonishing the parents to make sure their children understood the ways of God and the Law. May I ask you my friends, do you think our children are being raised in a godly world? This is not about whether you should homeschool or not. That's a decision made by your family. This is about why we homeschool.

Click on "Homeschooling Quotes" in my sidebar to read some very interesting humanistic views. There are two worldviews competing with one another. A Biblical worldview and a humanistic worldview. Government schools teach the humanistic worldview and our children eat it up with both hands. We are actively fighting that with our children. We want them to embrace a Biblical worldview. All people will choose one or the other for the most part.


My friend Voddie Baucham says something that I love. He says, "We can't continue to send our children to Caesar and be surprised when they come home acting like Romans." Hmm.

God gave me these children for a reason. I believe with every ounce of my being that dh and I are responsible for raising them up to be godly men and women. If I send them to a school that teaches evolution, selfishness (read: no personal responsibility), humanism, no absolute truth... then should I be surprised that when they grow up they denounce God and turn their backs on Him? I'm not saying this is going to happen, but as for me and my family we are not willing to take that risk.

When Kelsie, who'd only been in school less than a year, came home, I already had to deprogram her from the view that whatever her teacher said was golden and that what the other kids were doing is what she should be doing. It broke my heart that first year of homeschooling as she acted out and defied me for pulling her out of school.

Karly, argued everything with me for her first few months home. "NO, thats not how we did it at school." She also rebelled over the fact that she could not get away with as much because I was now with her 24/7. Those first few months were tougher than I like to admit.

Now say, Kelsie has an atheist teacher. Someone who says there is no God. How long would it take for Kelsie to begin questioning the absoluteness of God? She is with this teacher a good portion of the day 5 days a week. When she gets home we do homework, have dinner, and go to bed. I only have a few minutes every day to combat her atheist teacher who could have her for 6-8 hours five days a week. That's another reason we homeschool.





As I watched the election coverage this year I was appalled. APPALLED at the number of people who had no idea *who* Barrack Obama was. They were just paying lip service to everything I heard on the news. They could not tell you anything about his time in the Senate. When people were asked about him these are two of the main things I heard. "He's African American." "He wants to help people!" Ok... neither one of those things qualifies anyone to be President. I came to a shocking realization that people have lost the ability to think. To research. To know. Rush Limbaugh, yesterday, called it creepy the way the masses are worshiping (YES WORSHIPING) this human being. This man.
I am not disrespecting him. He is the President Elect of my country and I will not show disrespect for someone God has allowed to be in leadership. I am merely pointing out another reason we homeschool.
We homeschool so our children will know how to think, research and learn.



Mostly, we homeschool because we get to be a family more often. I know my kids, my kids know me. I get to be the one to mold and shape these beautiful people into godly adults. We get to pass on our values, goals, and convictions.
Will it all work out in the end? I don't know, but I sure like the odds. :)
Next, I will tell you all about how we went from Gung Ho Well Trained Mind to... well, stay tuned!
Be Blessed!




2 comments:

  1. We just got done reading Voddie's book "Family Driven Faith". What a breath of fresh air it was! It was so nice to know we aren't weird for what we believe. Thanks so much for expressing your thoughts. We are in a place where homeschooling isn't very appreciated and it is encouraging to hear from other homeschoolers. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I read that book a few months after having a very distressing conversation in the car with some other women. I felt like I was drifting in a sea of aloneness. I too am glad to hear from other homeschooling moms.

    ReplyDelete